Really bizarre rescue....

Cool find and great rescue!
If you live near the lake, or any body of water, and you have a rubbermaid tote , you can sink it in the water in a shady spot (so long as it gets shade all day!!) and put the little guy in. That's plenty of room for him to recover, safety and will be the temps he's used to.
Once he's fully recovered, you can just tip it over!
What about bird of prey? Do you think they will get to him? That is what I would be concerned about.

Awesome! Is there a chance you can post a picture or a link to the aloe drops your using? I'm sure there great, just curious for future reference! ☺️
Perfect that you filled it from the lake, thats great. Then hopefully you wont have to worry about water quality, and temperature. Keeping an eye on Ammonia with an Ammonia test kit is a good idea though.

The fish store should have some idea, I think thats a great call. I'm crossing my fingers for the little guy!
I'm like 99% sure this is it:
https://www.petproducts.com/product...pZJjMcmyBcH_uct_S3_RKC_SPMhcV9hhoCHXkQAvD_BwE

I put it away in my 'animal emergency stuff' cabinet so I'll have to double check tomorrow morning 😅.

If it takes him more than a few hours to recover, odds are the little guy won't make it, sadly.

But if you want something longer term, drill some holes in the tote and then just put the cover on it.
Right now he's pretty alert. He was completely upside down when I first let him out of the bag, and gasping. I thought for sure he was toast, but he's since righted himself and is swimming okay. His color is still 'pale' but he's moving around alright. But like I said I'm by no means a fish expert so I don't know how to evaluate their health. I hope he recovers, but if he doesn't at least I gave him a chance.

Right now he's pretty alert. He was completely upside down when I first let him out of the bag, and gasping. I thought for sure he was toast, but he's since righted himself and is swimming okay. His color is still 'pale' but he's moving around alright. But like I said I'm by no means a fish expert so I don't know how to evaluate their health. I hope he recovers, but if he doesn't at least I gave him a chance.
I wonder how long he was in that bag, he is probably starving from being trapped. I can imagine that may be contributing to the pale color. I just read that Peacock Bass eat tilapia, crayfish, tadpoles, mosquitofish, minnows, and guppies, and anything else that catches their eye. I wonder if there is anything you could offer him to eat. Or course, I don't see you out in the lake with a butterfly net trying to catch fish for him lol! But I wonder if there is anything else you can fee him you may have on hand. I'll do a quick search for you, and tell you what I find.

Its really good he's alert! That is awesome! The water conditioner in the link looks perfect! That is a great resource to have for him. Keep up the good work, and I hope he continues to do well!

It looks like you can give them, "fish, shrimp, worms, or even other fish or rodents" according to google. They prefer live food, but I think live worms are an easy option. :confused:If he eats thats another good sign.
Oh perfect! I do have some worms I keep in the fridge for my garter snakes. I can try some of those (maybe cut up?).

Oh perfect! I do have some worms I keep in the fridge for my garter snakes. I can try some of those (maybe cut up?).
I would first do a whole one and see if he can get it down. I know that cut worms wiggle, but live worms may wiggle more, and he may get excited about it. Just a thought, tell us how it goes!

I would first do a whole one and see if he can get it down. I know that cut worms wiggle, but live worms may wiggle more, and he may get excited about it. Just a thought, tell us how it goes!
Worm has been offered. He did check it out when I tossed it in, but I think me leering into the container like a wild ape spooked him 😅. I turned off the big light and left him alone. Hopefully he eats it!

Back
Top Bottom