REALLY cold weather

I live in south Louisiana and it rsrely gets below 30 here all year, but tonight it will be 25 and 16 tomorrow night. I am very concerned because of the wind. My coop is open with roosts inthe open area, and the nesting area isout of the wind. My chickens sleep on the roosts which are in the roof, but the 20-30 mph winds out there right now are howling underneath them. I'm very worried. :(

Our heater that goes under the waterer is having a very hard time with these super cold temperatures, and it is going to get even colder! I've been pouring hot water on the frozen ring, then lifting it out. What other options are there?

Heated dog bowls. Ours have not frozen over yet and it has gotten down to -30F.

I live in south Louisiana and it rsrely gets below 30 here all year, but tonight it will be 25 and 16 tomorrow night. I am very concerned because of the wind. My coop is open with roosts inthe open area, and the nesting area isout of the wind. My chickens sleep on the roosts which are in the roof, but the 20-30 mph winds out there right now are howling underneath them. I'm very worried.
sad.png

Is there any way you could use a tarp to block the wind?

Yes,
thumbsup.gif
tarps and carpenter's plastic are a very easy way to block the wind.....

I have to ask, I am in northern Michigan and struggle with the cold issues, what is it like to struggle with the heat and humidity issues?

So far my Easter Eggers have been OK down to -6 with no outside heat source. What you do have to make sure of is that the coop is kept dry and well ventilated, well insulated certainly doesn't hurt either. I've got the prevailing wind sides tarped also. They just bunch up together on the roost and sort of make themselves into a giant down quilt, don't seem to be bothered at all. They acted more bothered this summer when it was in the 90's with the heat, actually.

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would share that my Red Stars made it through the past two days of the arctic blast, last night it was -15 f, with wind chills in the -30s. They have a pretty well insulated coop, and a home made water heater that may provide additional heat. It's 8 above tonight so all should be well.

The snow!! So much snow :( I think I need to clean off my coop roof before it comes to join my chickens!

wow the snow!!!! I will get some pic's today for ya. After a -16c evening the water in the coop was good. A small layer of ice on top that they had pecked through to the water underneath so that good news. A few mornings in that -32c it was a frozen solid block. They are loving the mealworm suet I screw to the wall but I have only given them 3 on nights when its really cold. It seems the straw around the outside and on the roof is helping because you can feel the temp difference when I go in the coop. I opened another vent we had covered with carpet because I was concerned with to much humidity inside and I think that has helped as well. I don't see any further frostbite damage on any of them!! yah!! but I still not sure how to treat the few that have a bit already. I will have to do some searching and reading.

you can see the chicken tractor beside the shed that we use for our meaties. Way to much snow!! lol As you can see, the windows are still frosted over :( I did open an extra vent but I will have to do another I guess...the problem is....added onto the back of this old playhouse/coop is a backroom we added. it starts just under the eves at the back and slopes down. At the very back of the addition its only 3 FT high. all the venting is under the eves of the main playhouse/coop...none in the addition at the back because it would cause drafts right on the roosting poles in the back part......I really need to get a whole new coop built!!! I will poke poke poke the hubby about that come spring!!

The gate on the left is into the run...which they never use now in this cold weather unless I straw the floor and try to coax them out with food lol then they eat and go right back in the coop! lol on milder days I shovel it and lay straw and leave the pop door open but whenever I check they are never out there lol except on the -5c day, then I saw them out and about.

a little afternoon treat of sunflower seeds and a walk about out front while I tidy the coop. :)

Its suppose to be really warm this weekend so I am looking forward to having them outside and cleaning out the coop. :)

Last edited:
Yes,:thumbsup   tarps and carpenter's plastic are a very easy way to block the wind.....

I have to ask, I am in northern Michigan and struggle with the cold issues, what is it like to struggle with the heat and humidity issues?

It gets hot here but by chickens did fine all summer! They have shade and lots of water. This is why I built the open coop I have- we have long hot summers. It wasn't great for the last 3 nights of extreme (for us) cold, but they made it through! And we may not fall below freezing again all year.

Back
Top Bottom