Really dumb question...can chickens swim?

No. If their legs can touch the will get out, otherwise they become waterlogged and drown. Chicks have been know to drown in their waterer.

Well, I have to disagree that no chicken can swim at all. Today, one of my older hens walked right into the pool for the first time. She flapped her wings and kept "paddling" until she reached the side and pulled herself out. I was about to scoop her out with the leaf net but she made it out by herself. She's pretty fat, so she might even float. So it is possible for a chicken to "swim" a short distance, as mine did. I doubt she would have done well with an extended dip. Other chickens might not be as skilled (or lucky). I have seen chickens drown in the waterer, but usually only if they get their head caught. My cat can also swim, but one of the dogs panics and sinks. So it probably depends on the individual animal.

Quote:
My silkie has proven to me that she is a great swimmer.
old.gif

Funny story; she was chasing a cricket all aroun the patio one early morning, followed it until... Splash, she landed in the pool! I heard it from a distance, Amber, my EE, was screaming bloody murder, so I rushed over to find my silkie swimming around... like a duck!
ep.gif

She looked like a wet mop after I rescued her. Poor thing.

After watching the Jay Leno clip with the lady from Arkansas who gave mouth to mouth to a drowned chicken and saved it... I am going to guess no lol. Terry Bradshaw was in that clip and I thought he was gonna pass out he was laughing so hard.

My 10 year old brother (Im 15) threw one of the chickens in the pool once while I was swimming. He thought it was one of the most hilarous things ever, I on the other hand- did not. But anyways, Mya flapped around, and around squaking until I reached her and put her outside of the pool. She no longer likes my brother.

Back
Top Bottom