Really flighty broody hen

Kakapothechicken

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
Hi. I have a black maran hen who has gone broody. She is sitting on her eggs in a nest box of one of the two houses, this house is only used for egg laying and the other chickens generally don’t use it. She is now somewhere around day 14 (possibly further). I am concerned that when the chicks hatch the other chickens will attack them as the hen is at the bottom of the pecking order and is pecked even by the cockerel. The problem is that by moving her she will lose her place in the hierarchy, also, she is extremely close to her sister and they have always gone everywhere together and stayed separate to the flock. I can’t separate her sister as well or she will also lose her place and she is actually a little higher than some of the other chickens. The broody hen is so flighty that she won’t go within a few metres of people without absolutely panicking so I think there is a great chance that moving her would stress her too much and she would potentially abandon her eggs.
Any ideas on how I can keep her and her chicks safe in with the flock?
Sorry for the massive block of text.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I would not let the other chickens in the broody hen house. Partition it off, block the door or whatever to keep them out.

Should be an easy solution since you say they don't use it much anyway.

Keep them out, let her continue to set and hatch, all should be good.

Back
Top Bottom