Really hoping someone can help

kkimmikk

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
One of my 6 girls started acting oddly over the weekend. By Sunday, not moving around too well, slept on the floor of the coop (another girl cuddled up to her). Monday she was walking very little and when she did she looked like a penguin. We brought her inside, thinking maybe egg bound. Warm water bath, physically felt around and no bulge nothing. Isn't eating or drinking that we can tell. Minimal excrement, looks like runny scrambled egg with some green in it. Kept her inside over night. Today she seems worse. She is chattering her beak (don't know how else to describe it) and her feet don't splay out correctly. Does not appear to be in pain, but seems very sleepy. Still can't get her to drink. I am going to try to attach a photo to show her feet and a link to a video clip of her chattering. If anyone has knowledge, please share. If she is going to die we would put her back outside so she's with her friends, and not indoors. But really hoping we can nurse her back to health. She is not quite 2 years old. Red sex-link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_kWl-sL4zLwam9SdVlQWWlUTW8/view?usp=sharing

Forgot to mention at one point we thought maybe her leg was broken, I felt up and down the entire length of both legs, did not feel any difference between the two, and she did not seem distressed while i did it.

Does her right leg seem numb or paralyzed? She looks like she could possibly have a riboflavin deficiency that is causing curled toes, sitting on hocks, or she might possibly be showing signs of Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? I would immediately start her on poultry vitamins in her food or water. Some of the symptoms you describe could also be from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Make sure that she is eating and drinking well, and offer her some egg daily to eat. Here is some reading about Mareks disease:
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I had been leaning away from Mareks because of the rapid onset of the symptoms and that she's the only one of the 6 with any issue, but several of the symptoms do fit.

How do i get her to drink? I offer water (and food), I've dipped her beak in it, I've raised it to a higher position so it;s closer to her head but she doesn't go for it. I've read about the tube feeding, not sure where to go to get a tube?

This morning both legs are now limp. She's always been docile and still is, but when I try to get her to open her beak to take water from the dropper, she fights me. Her head sometimes jerks in a pecking motion but she isn't actually pecking anything. On the off chance she might, I put some liquidy food in a dish where, if her head bobs that way, her beak would be in it. She seems alert for a hen that hasn't eaten in over 48 hours (that I can tell), but I feel completely useless.

I need to tell you that my silkie rooster did the same thing at a younger age. The legs look the same, which is weird! But anyways... Sadly we had to have him put to sleep because it wouldn't get better, because we took him to the vets.

She is the same, she has now been in the house for 5 days, and I give her water with a straw and spoon feed her 2x a day. Her legs are still not working. She is able to flap both wings (it had previously appeared that one wing was limp - either I was mistaken or it regained mobility).

Sadly, I think we will be saying goodbye to her. I don't think even her legs are going to get better after this long :(

She is the same, she has now been in the house for 5 days, and I give her water with a straw and spoon feed her 2x a day.  Her legs are still not working.  She is able to flap both wings (it had previously appeared that one wing was limp - either I was mistaken or it regained mobility).

Sadly, I think we will be saying goodbye to her.  I don't think even her legs are going to get better after this long :(

Yes that's how our rooster was
1f62d.png
1f613.png

I'm sorry that she is worse, and still not taking food or water on her own. You can fashion a tube feeding device out of aquarium tubing from the pet section of Walmart of pet store, along with a regular tip 35 or 60 cc syringe (from a farm store.) KayTee baby bird feed is what most people use to tube feed, not regular chicken feed. I really think it may be too late, plus, if it is Mareks, she won't get better. Sorry that I didn't see your last post until today.

Back
Top Bottom