REALLY huge eggs collected today...

ChanceRider

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Somerset, CA
Okay, maybe a couple of them just happen to be emu eggs! My chickens may have really slacked off laying, but late November brought my first (ever) turkey eggs from my Midget Whites, and now my first two emu eggs of this season. I guess I'll have to get a larger egg basket!

Here's a couple of pics of today's emu, chicken, duck and turkey eggs.

14651_emu_eggs_120409.jpg

14651_emu_duck_turkey_chicken_eggs_120409.jpg

Quote:
LOL, it'd be fun to have an egg carton that would fit the emu eggs. Right now they're just sitting in a basket on the kitchen counter while I figure out if I want to incubate them or sell them. I could have all kinds of fun with a carton that would fit those eggs...

SO how many standard eggs is an emu egg...

I can always threaten to get emus if they remove my chickens...

Never mind they are 'livestock'

(p) Livestock means any grazing animal, such as horses, cattle, sheep, donkeys, mules, buffalos, llamas, swine, goats and other hoofed animals, and emus, ostriches, and rheas, that are raised for private use or commercial purposes; however, purebred miniature Vietnamese potbellied pigs kept for the sole purpose of providing human companionship and which are in compliance with all applicable provisions of this Chapter are not considered livestock.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've never seen an emu egg of any other color. A friend of mine used to raise them commercially, (you know... the OTHER red meat!). He literally had hundreds of emus... and all eggs were the same beautiful deep green. I have one blown egg that must have been a double yolker as it's almost twice the length of the ones shown in the pic.

FireTigeris, I'm not sure how many chicken eggs it would take to equal one emu egg, but I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot! My friend used to cook them up as omlettes, hardboiled, scrambled, etc. The egg yolks cook up pretty well, but the whites are a bit more challenging... not to be found on my menu
lol.png

i got $5 in my paypal account.... yeah i know that doesn't even cover postage for one.. rofl... but it was a thought.. hubby already said no to emu's... also to the llama, the calf, and the mini donkey we saw at the petting zoo today... but he also said no to peackocks, ducks and goats... *glaces towards the backyard where the goats, donky, chickens and ducks are sleeping... then uout the window at the peacocks on the eaves*

i do want to try to incubate one at some point, but i want to make sure it has a place to go after a few months.. lol.. don't think i'm ready for a full grown emu...

good luck trying to decide what to do with them...
do they lay one every day??

Back
Top Bottom