Really late hatchings

flutterbye

Hatching
May 31, 2016
Hello
I would appreciate any help/guidance with this problem. I have 4 eggs that should have hatched last week on day21, it is now day 26. I had originally put 6 vorwerk eggs under a Japanese bantam broody, a little much I know, so after candling on day 21 I discarded 2non starters and thought the others would be a little late due to uneven temp etc On day 25 all 4 "rocked" the water test but non of them are cheeping, no sign of internal or external pipping and I don't know how long before they are in danger of suffocating. I have intervened before with a seramo who wouldn't hatch and it ended successfully but I know the dangers. Any advice please

I imagine they quit.
I posted the following in another thread that may help you.

Someone asked about why their embryos quit after lockdown.

I would make sure the ventilation was sufficient and what I believe Saris said, pay special attention to breeder nutrition.

Here's a rundown of all possible causes of deaths after day 18. You'll have to look at your process and see what may apply to your situation. The ones in black wouldn't apply since you have a problem with multiple breeds, breeders and hatches.

Incubator temperature, humidity, turning or ventilation is improper.
Hatcher temperature, humidity or ventilation is improper.
Contamination - especially from molds.
Fumigation too severe or too long.

Eggs chilled during transfer to hatcher or transferred too late.
Cracked shell.
Nutritional deficiencies. i.e. Vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin B12, riboflavin, biotin, thiamin, folic acid, pantothenic acid, lineolic acid, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, manganese.
Embryo malpositioned
Embryo development accident (failure to switch to lung respiration)
Heredity (lethal genes, chromosome abnormalities)
Twinning
Hatcher opened too much during pipping and hatching.
Poor shell quality
Breeder diseases.

Hi,
Just to update. Two of the chicks died , one after external piping. Two are fine, one is a little wobbly, didn't hatch until day 27 and sits on its elbows a bit. He is improving though so I may not have to intervene. Happy days

Back
Top Bottom