Really lethargic hen 3yo plus not eating

Patchworkjo

Songster
May 3, 2020
Hello

Yesterday all was well PJ greedily ate and laid an egg. Today she was not interested in corn (she is usually first in line and pushes the others out). Just asleep standing up, head down and all puffed up.

No sign of odd droppings anywhere.

I have isolated her and given nutri drops (1ml as she is a small bantam light Sussex x Silkie).

Her vent is clean, her crop is empty with no swelling, no bad breath, and her abdomen feels normal too. Possible slight wheeze on odd breath but no discharge. Her comb seems a little darker and floppier too.

I have no local avian vet. I have some VERY OLD Baytril I think. I'll see if I can find it. If so is that an idea or a risk if out of date?

She was wormed a couple of weeks ago. As an aside since the chicks hatched in the adjacent run she has become very aggressive and the older birds seem to have been a little more on edge (other than the broody who is loving it).

Is there anything else I could do to help her and thoughts on expired Baytril would be helpful.

Thank you for any help and advice you can offer.

update. Now very laboured breathing and clear fluid at swollen eyes. I have given a little of the out of date antibiotic as it looks like death. Is inevitable. Spoken to my other half and at 5 am she was first out for corn and well. So from that to deaths door in 7 hours. What the hell is this and how can I protect the rest of my girls. Help please

update. Now very laboured breathing and clear fluid at swollen eyes. I have given a little of the out of date antibiotic as it looks like death. Is inevitable. Spoken to my other half and at 5 am she was first out for corn and well. So from that to deaths door in 7 hours. What the hell is this and how can I protect the rest of my girls. Help please

Back
Top Bottom