Really Mean chicken problem

despina33

Hatching
May 12, 2015
Hello everyone and thanks for your help in advance!

I have 2 chickens that I raised from chicks, they are 1 year old. About a month ago I added 3 more hens that are 2.5 yrs old. When the pecking order was taking place my first chick was the boss and then later left the place for my other chick (she is a barred Plymouth /rock) The Grey one in the picture (you can even see the separation in the pic!).

The problem is that this one is super mean. Today it was raining and she would not let the other 3 new hens go into the house. At night, once she roots, the others are afraid to go in.... so they hang around outside. I let them free range. They are ALWAYS seperated, the new 3 together and the 2 together. They never do anything as a flock, always separate.

Sometimes, the mean chicken picks on the other ones for no apparent reason. Even though they move out of her way to give her the space, she is not satisfied, she always pulls a feather or gives them a whack.
I heard about separating the mean one... but it breaks my heart.
What can I really do to have a happy flock?
THANK YOU!!!

You don't need to separate her permanently. Separate her for a week or so and then put her back in. She should be reduced in the pecking order and be less of a problem.

a whole week... ooof! Poor thing. And I guess she can't have any contact with the other one's right? Is it possible that the other one that I had from a chick become mean like her in the new pecking order?

Plus, it will give the others time to get used to where to roost, etc. I have a 3 stage flock. My older three hens hang out together and are dominant. My six one year old hens are in the middle and they all hang out together but roost in the "big girl coop" with my three older hens. My 6 younger chicks that are between 12 weeks and 6 weeks old all hang out together and they roost in the coop on my chicken tractor. Everyone has plenty of room and other than the normal bossiness by the dominant hens, they are get along fairly well. I would say with your mean girl separated out for a week or so, it will give the others time to mingle some since the other hen won't want to be by herself. Good luck!

Hi- I too have an issue with 2 of my hens, they are a little over a year. I put them a way for 1 week & then reintroduce them to the The flock,I have othe other chickens that are about nine months old & there absolutely terrified of her she is so vicious along with my other chicken, they both are just down right mean. I decided to put them apart again and I did it for two weeks, nothing has worked. We also have use anti-picking spray to NO prevail . The two chickens that are the head chickens here continue to attack the chickens together like they literally pounds the other chickens together. What's NEXT? I'm ready to give them away , the other thing that's holding me back is I feel like I haven't tried everything and I also have a daughter with disabilities that is beside herself.

Hi- I too have an issue with 2 of my hens, they are a little over a year. I put them a way for 1 week & then reintroduce them to the The flock,I have othe other chickens that are about nine months old & there absolutely terrified of her she is so vicious along with my other chicken, they both are just down right mean. I decided to put them apart again and I did it for two weeks, nothing has worked. We also have use anti-picking spray to NO prevail . The two chickens that are the head chickens here continue to attack the chickens together like they literally pounds the other chickens together. What's NEXT? I'm ready to give them away , the other thing that's holding me back is I feel like I haven't tried everything and I also have a daughter with disabilities that is beside herself.
Do not take both out. Just take the worst offender out and put her in chicken jail for a week. What breed are they?

How many 9 month olds do you have? It's perfectly normal for older chickens to be at the top of the flock. Once they 9 month olds actually begin to move up in rank, a lot of that will stop. So, as Keesmom suggested, I'd take the worst offender out. Without her companion, the other should settle down some. Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom