Really mean rooster!

Just another tip. I use a fishing net to catch birds. They all come to respect the net. It can be used to catch or scoop up a rooster coming towards you too. It can work as a domination tool, and can keep you safe. After catching him you can leave him sitting in the net for a while or pop him in a pen while you do your chores. Release him when you are done making sure he runs off cackling, and doesn't face you age. Eventually he may run off every time he sees you and that net.

Understanding rooster body language is important too. A submissive rooster should give you his back or side, and move away. Any that face you straight on are looking for trouble. They should remain 5-10 feet away. A submissive bird will also flap their wings while giving their side as a submissive sign to a dominant rooster. Never give a rooster your back until you know you can trust him to ignore you as much as you ignore him.

Raising roosters is like raising children. Everyone has their own way of doing it and reaching the same goal.

I have a lot of roosters and frankly I don't put up with any shenanigans from them. I do handle them when they are little. I don't want them to be lap pets but I do want them to trust me so if injured or sick I can safely handle them without getting flogged, clawed or bit to death. IMHO the younger they are when you start working with them the easier it is to deal with their .....roosterness when they get older.

In all honesty I have more attitude from my standard sized roosters than I do my little OEGB cross and pure breds. They are tougher on one another and have complete respect for me. I'm the treat lady who gives them food that they can give to the hens. Every time I toss them a slice of bread and hear them call the hens it's like they are saying "Look ladies, the human gave me bread so I can give it to you! Aren't I great? Can I mate you now?"

I really don't have any secret to why my bantam boys behave their selves but I truly believe it is because I do insist that my boys allow me to handle them and respect me from the time they pop out of the egg. I can walk into my run at any time and the roosters will clear a path for me. Rarely do I even get a peck from the bantam boys and if I do, they are small enough that I just scoop them up and tuck them under my arm for awhile. When I put them down, they scoot out of my way and stay out of my way.

But like I said, what works for me may not work for you or anyone else. I do think you have your hands full taming this rooster down. Impossible? No, but a lot of work and I sincerely wish you good luck because I really do like roosters.

I guess I should clarify what I think handling is and isn't. I do pick mine up to move them or look them over. I do not pet them, nor do I ever hand feed any birds. I consider handling holding, and petting and hugging for more than a moment. So I do handle but I don't over handle.

Raising roosters is like raising children. Everyone has their own way of doing it and reaching the same goal.

I have a lot of roosters and frankly I don't put up with any shenanigans from them. I do handle them when they are little. I don't want them to be lap pets but I do want them to trust me so if injured or sick I can safely handle them without getting flogged, clawed or bit to death. IMHO the younger they are when you start working with them the easier it is to deal with their .....roosterness when they get older.

In all honesty I have more attitude from my standard sized roosters than I do my little OEGB cross and pure breds. They are tougher on one another and have complete respect for me. I'm the treat lady who gives them food that they can give to the hens. Every time I toss them a slice of bread and hear them call the hens it's like they are saying "Look ladies, the human gave me bread so I can give it to you! Aren't I great? Can I mate you now?"

I really don't have any secret to why my bantam boys behave their selves but I truly believe it is because I do insist that my boys allow me to handle them and respect me from the time they pop out of the egg. I can walk into my run at any time and the roosters will clear a path for me. Rarely do I even get a peck from the bantam boys and if I do, they are small enough that I just scoop them up and tuck them under my arm for awhile. When I put them down, they scoot out of my way and stay out of my way.

But like I said, what works for me may not work for you or anyone else. I do think you have your hands full taming this rooster down. Impossible? No, but a lot of work and I sincerely wish you good luck because I really do like roosters.

Nicely said

I have raised my rooster from a chick and luckily no aggression problems with him yet. I still walk towards him and make him back up to respect my space. I believe the more you get friendly with your roosters, holding, hugging the more possibility you will have aggressive one because he will take advantage of you.

Shoot, I had a feeling I should ask you guys if the hose thing was such a good idea. But actually, that night I felt really bad for repeatedly spraying him back into the hen house and felt bad about it and thought to myself that I would be nicer to him the next day. That was the day I just wrote about where he was attacking me through a fence and apparently I shouldn't have been nicer and let him win that one. Now I know, with the assistance of you guys' advice...I'll learn sooner or later. Think I'll shoot for sooner!
I agree, never let any animal win, only because the next time they will fight harder and it will be more difficult for you:)

I have 7 roosters, only one every questioned me as being the boss. Yes, he was about a year old and I hung him upside down by his feet till he was ready to concede. I was lucky and that worked for me. May or may not work for others. But spraying with water hoses only antagonizes their behavior to be mean it does not make them stop being mean. Nor does hitting them!

Totally agree here. I have found out that handling them a lot young tends to make them more aggressive when grown, even as young as 10 months. My avatar who appeared to be a pullet until 9 weeks old was handled a lot until then, at 5 MO. he made a threat and ran at my leg, I had a feed bucket and lightly konked him with it. He is now a year old and has never attacked again, Yet. If he does, he will go to freezer. I have had others that became very aggressive. They were fine until the dominant attacking roo was taken out, then the next in line became dominant and aggressive, he was taken out. A Rhode Island red, started out attacking my granddaughter but not me, then he started attacking me and kept coming. No corrections made a difference. took him out-chicken noodle supper. Then the Buff Orp,(raised and handled by grandkids thinking they were girls) came of age and started attacking, nailed me several times in the legs in short order, after that match he left me alone for a few months until his wing healed from getting broken during the encounter, then suddenly one day he snuck up from behind and nailed me. He went to freezer. I don't give away anything that I wouldn't put up with. Just letting someone else handle the problem and getting a child hurt. I have an 8 week old blue EE and he has nailed me twice when feeding. He has NOT been handled much since I knew he was a roo at 3 weeks old. With that attitude that young, he is bound for chicken stir fry in a few weeks.
OP, you can try, but don't think you will change that rooster now. Best of luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom