1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really need a floor for the coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ZooMummzy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    The coop is finally underway...kind of. We still have many steps before we actually start building it, but hubby and I cannot agree on the need for a floor. I live in the Pacific NW and I know the wood will eventually rot if it is not up off the ground, but everything is going to rot eventually here. I am trying to not only plan what will be best for the girls but also for me cleaning the coop. All the coops I have seen on here have floors. Does anyone have a dirt floor in their coop? I am going to put shavings or hay or something similar down, but I would prefer not to have an actual floor if it is not necessary. I should add that due to the location and the design of the run area, it will be very secure so no predators will be able to get in.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Plenty of people have dirt floors [​IMG] If you have no digging predators (that includes rats), and NO chance of flooding or soggy ground, they work fine.

Pat

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thanks! I guess I have just missed those posts and pics because I have only seen floors. It was hard enough getting hubby to help build the coop in the first place. I didn't want to push my luck by asking him to put in a foundation too! [​IMG]

No, we do not have rats here. The neighborhood cats keep them away and my dogs keep the cats out of the yard. The coop will have a roof and the run will be sort of covered by the deck above and we will have tarps for those really bad rainstorms. I think we might good!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I just have a dirt floor in mine too. It's an old building, and would be nice to have cement but don't really need it. I just cover it in the winter time with straw and more straw. In the spring I clean it out and let it be during the summer.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can have a dirt floor.an if your worried something could digg under then bury hardware cloth 4 to 6in deep.that will stop any an all digging under/into the henhouse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by