Really need help with our sick duck (Pekin hen)

FunWithFowl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
I'll try to be brief..... She is 7 months old, isn't eating even when treats are offered, isn't moving around much, yellowish watery diarrhea, and not quacking almost hissing.

I'm quite sure that I am not doing a very good job describing her problems, I'm trying...... I suspect that she could be egg bound. I can't see an egg nor could I be sure that I felt one when I tried feeling in her vent (Gloved, ky, and neosporin) like the Raising Ducks book suggested. I have tried the warm bath and have her in the garage away from the rest of the flock. I hate seeing her this way! Any suggestions???

How long has she been laying? Any sudden temperature changes or sudden decrease in daylight?

Been laying since September. We live near Chicago, so it has turned to winter here. Low teens at night 30's during the day. Coop is insulated, never below 32 inside the coop. I have lights on in the coop to provide 14 hours of daylight. All three other girls are doing just fine and not showing any of these symptoms.

Have you tried a warm bath, deep enough to float in?

I would also start putting activated charcoal supplement in her water.

There is always the possibility of an infection, so consider that.

If she is already refusing to eat, she is really in need of some intervention. If you can get her to a vet, I would. But I know it isn't always workable.

So I would also get something like Nutri-Drench for poultry into her water, as it contains a few vitamins and some calories.

If you can get her into a relatively warm place (40F or more), that could take some stress off her.

Take a look at her vent, see if there is anything noticeable there.

I have been reading about the health effects of oregano with poultry, so maybe you can look into that online and see if it might help.

Back
Top Bottom