Really sick chicken

hudz1986

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
Hi there,
My mum has some sick chickens. The one that's really sick started with bubbly watery eyes. She started to scratch them..the next day both her eyes were swollen shut with a big amount of discharge. She's been like that for more than 2 weeks. I've read about mycoplasma and unfortunately we don't have any treatment in Australia. We've basically been cleaning the eyes with saline eye drops and chicken anti biotics but her eye's haven't improved and she can't see to eat. We have isolated her. My mum wants to have her culled because she is suffering. What are your thoughts? Will her eye's get better? Or should we cull?

Hi there,
My mum has some sick chickens. The one that's really sick started with bubbly watery eyes. She started to scratch them..the next day both her eyes were swollen shut with a big amount of discharge. She's been like that for more than 2 weeks. I've read about mycoplasma and unfortunately we don't have any treatment in Australia. We've basically been cleaning the eyes with saline eye drops and chicken anti biotics but her eye's haven't improved and she can't see to eat. We have isolated her. My mum wants to have her culled because she is suffering. What are your thoughts? Will her eye's get better? Or should we cull?
Take her to the vet !

You have oxymav (oxytetracycline) in AU, and that can treat MG in chickens. Your vet could give you Tylosin,Baytril, or Denagard as well. Clean the eyes with saline so that she can see, and apply some plain antibiotic ointment to the eyes twice a day. Unfortunately, most respiratory diseases in chickens are contagious and can come back again. Have you added any new birds recently that might have brought this disease with them?

Unfortunately she passed away 😔
We have another chicken which had the same symptoms but we started treatment early so she's doing better.
My mum kept adding new chickens to the previous flock after some of her chicken were killed by foxes. Hopefully the rest of the chickens weren't exposed to virus. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom