1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really small coop-where to eat and drink??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Markp1964, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Markp1964

Markp1964 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    I checking out available coops and houses, I've seen some that look tiny. For example:
    http://www.lindasgrove.com/bodbury.htm
    Very handsome to look at, but it states the inside area for your birds is 24inches X 36 inches. That seems tight for the four birds they recommend, and I wonder where does the food and water go? Appears the girls have to eat out doors!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I would think it would have to go outside...at the bottom it says they only used 2sq ft for heavy breeds...VERY small!

3. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    My guess would be outside too. It looks like you would have to add a shadecloth or some sort of rain cover over the feed.
    I don't like keeping feed close to the roost due to the mess they get in the feed!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

2x3? Hmm. Maybe 4 banties or two standards, although if you move it every day, you might be able to put 4 into it.

5. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    I was wondering the same thing for mine. My coop is only going to be big enough for sleeping and nesting.

I'm going to have an area outside of my coop that is covered for food and water. I have plans for this coop: http://www.mypetchicken.com/Chicken_Coop_Plans-Chicken_Coop_Building_Plans-P202.aspx

Do
    chickens need access to food and water at night? Should I leave the door open from the coop to this outside area all the time (the outside area will be predator proof when I'm done with it)?

THanks!

6. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    Heck, I just want to know why the UK has such a great selection of pre-made coops compared to the US! Not all of us can build our own coops and it would be great to have a bigger selection that what we have now in the US. Those lucky Brits!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by