Really stupid question (about the bullseye)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by menkot, Oct 14, 2007.

1. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    I have 11 hens. I don't have a rooster and have not had one for about 2 months. I cracked an egg today and there was a very obvious bullseye in both yolks (double yolker). I cracked another and yet another very obvious bullseye. I don't have a rooster. I don't get it. I do have one very aggressive sometimes roostery looking hen. I am assuming it is a hen anyway. It is about 5 months and does not crow and I think is laying plus she squats when I reach to pet her. Would a rooster squat? She is a tall chicken with a very prominent comb but her tail is not roostery at all. I can't find my camera but will look tomorrow and try to post pics cause I am confused. She is a production red.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I have heard that a rooster will keep a hen fertilized for months...Someone correct me if im wrong..

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Bullseye = Rooster

Eggs will only be fertile for up to 21 days after the last mating. The roostery-looking hen is probably a feminine-looking rooster.

4. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    Ok I think my rooster is in drag. He is over 5 months old and just now showing rooster signs. His sister is already laying and has been for several weeks. From behind he looks just like a hen. From the front he looks like a sort of masculine hen but mainly very henny. He does have longer thicker legs and he is taller but where is the beautiful tail??? Where is the crowing? He is chasing the girls around and trying to mate. That just started also. I thought he was just trying to move up the pecking order until the last few days. He also squats when I come around??? He is very loud and vocal. He even sits in the nest box just never lays an egg. Is he confused or am I ??? LOL

I can't find my camera. [​IMG] Somehow it has walked off. I am still looking though

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Menkot...I've got an imposter too. No crowing...no real roo characteristics...no spurs...and I've never really seen any mating...and BELIEVE me I've watched these birds for hours. I think they are doing the 'deed' at night on the roosts...or in the nest boxes when the hen is laying an egg. Caught one trying to stand on anothers back one night when closing the coop down for the night...think this is the one...just want to catch him in the ACT to confirm it! He is also the one who keeps getting in the nest boxes with the hens...[​IMG]

6. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    did it end up being a roo???

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Hens can actually retain viable semen for up to 6 weeks. But it sounds like you have a late bloomer roo.

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Quote:His confusion is making your confusion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by