Really Stupid Question re: rain

Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
Yesterday it started to rain. Ds and I raced to get everything that was out picked up (laundry, his toys, etc.). Well, in that list was our 4wk old chicks, now full-time in the run/coop. They had been out enjoying the sunshine, and we ushered them back into the henhouse and closed them up safe and dry. We didn't mind.. but then I got paranoid thinking that I'll never be able to leave to go anywhere if it's cloudy ever AGAIN. Can't have my babies getting wet!!

So.. here's my dumb q, at some point are they going to figure out that when it rains, they need to go back to the safety of the henhouse? Or.. at some point will it be ok for them to get wet? Or.. will Ds and I keep up this mad dash until ds moves away to college and I'm walking with one of those walkers-on-wheels?

Don't get me wrong, I really don't mind (besides, they are still so adorable climbing up their little ramp and going through the little door!) Just felt bad for them because it really only sprinkled for 2min, ground was even still dry, but they were locked up snug in the house just in case it started again.

Ok, go ahead.. laugh at me.
big_smile.png

-Meghan

now thats weird
I just posted something about rain vs my babes
just waiting for a reply...
maybe when someone answers me - it might help you?
smile.png

I've read on BYC that chickens generally don't care for rain and that they will head for their coop on their own. As a matter of fact, somebody on BYC said that gentle spraying a garden hose to simulate rain was a good way to get stubborn chickens to go into their coop for the night.

Kerr- I noticed that too. Sounds like you had one heck of an experience with your girls. I'll be checking your replies, too, in case something helps me and my paranoia.

Buff Hooligans- Thanks! I wonder at what age that starts? It was just sprinkling yesterday, so no one was really wet or anything, but they hadn't moved toward their house until they saw us coming.

Ds and I just herded them in again, since it started to sprinkle (wish it would downpour, actually.. my garden needs it). As soon as I unlatched the run they headed right in. Well, at least they trained fast for that!

-Meghan

I just let them figure it out themselves, personally. When it rained, I made sure that the henhouse was open and available. Never had a problem, and I put them out at 5 weeks old. As little things, some of my pullets liked hanging around in the rain, some of them learned to run for cover. Now that they are almost fully grown, sometimes I look out in the pouring rain and they are all out in the yard. Other times, they are all snuggled in by the door, watching the rain from the dry safety of their house.

A long, long time ago chickens were wild birds in wet tropical jungles. I figure rain shouldn't be able to hurt them (once they have decent feathers, of course).

-MTchick

Here in Georgia there is a drought. I can count on one hand how many times we've gotten rain since March 1st (the day my chickens hatched).

However, last week we got a thunderstorm come though. It was really windy with hail and rain. I ran out to the barn to check on the chickens and goats and turkeys.

Well, the goats were in the barn munching on hay - all nice and dry. The chickens were standing in front of the chicken house in the pouring rain. Hello! Go in your chicken door!!
he.gif
They were soaking wet. Dumb chickens.
barnie.gif

I guess it didn't bother them....

My girls don't mind getting sprinkled on, but they do head in when it really starts to pour. They don't mind thunder, but the minute that the lightning comes - ZIP!

Blondie, sounds like your GA chicks are just a couple weeks younger than ours. Mine don't seem to mind rain until it gets really hard, but they don't really like wind. Like you, that storm we had last week was the first rain more than 30 seconds that they'd ever seen! It's raining today, thank the good Lord, and the chickens are in their house. They pop out on occasion and stand under their roof and look at the rain.

Edited to add: THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS HERE!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I actually have been wondering the same thing about rain. I have (3) three month olds in their coop full time and my DH came home after work (3-11) and here's one of the girls on the roof in the rain. He picked her up and put her in. These girls really are on a slow learning curve or something. They wait for the dogs of the house to go out and greet them and most of the time they do come greet the dogs. But then then they are in, out all day. But not consistent at night yet. Do they really learn on their own?

Thanks,
GG
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom