1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

really weird egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maco5, Sep 30, 2009.

1. maco5

maco5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    one of my chickens laid the weirdest egg last night!
    it looks like a normal egg, BUT the shell never hardened!
    it's squishy!
    is this a common occurence?

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    It is fairly common for chickens new to the laying game. Just make sure they have access to oyster shell and maybe supplement that with some plain non-fat yogurt a few times per week. I found most of these on the droppings board under the roost so I think it happens when the chickens least suspects it. It should clear up as their egg laying machine gets in tune with what it is supposed to do. [​IMG]

3. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I can't tell you how many of those I got when my girls first started laying several weeks ago. Once I got several of them,I started adding oyster shell to their feed. Now,2 weeks later,I haven't gotten one in quite a while.

4. maco5

maco5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    This hen has been laying for over a year! She gets oyster shell in her food also.

5. Valley Girl

Valley Girl Out Of The Brooder

Maco5,I found one of those eggs this morning.This is our first time at laying hens.We have 28 Rhode island reds and two Australorps.I have no idea which one laid this particular egg.They have a run so they have access to grit.
    They've been laying for a few weeks now,at first pee wee size and now they are sizing up quite well.
    One thing I have noticed is that I've never seen one of the Australorps in a nesting box but have found eggs on the floor,is there a reason why they won't use them?
    Sorry to jump in on your thread Maco5 but wanted to know about the strange egg as well:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by