really weird egg

maco5

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Jose, CA
one of my chickens laid the weirdest egg last night!
it looks like a normal egg, BUT the shell never hardened!
it's squishy!
is this a common occurence?

It is fairly common for chickens new to the laying game. Just make sure they have access to oyster shell and maybe supplement that with some plain non-fat yogurt a few times per week. I found most of these on the droppings board under the roost so I think it happens when the chickens least suspects it. It should clear up as their egg laying machine gets in tune with what it is supposed to do.
smile.png

I can't tell you how many of those I got when my girls first started laying several weeks ago. Once I got several of them,I started adding oyster shell to their feed. Now,2 weeks later,I haven't gotten one in quite a while.

Maco5,I found one of those eggs this morning.This is our first time at laying hens.We have 28 Rhode island reds and two Australorps.I have no idea which one laid this particular egg.They have a run so they have access to grit.
They've been laying for a few weeks now,at first pee wee size and now they are sizing up quite well.
One thing I have noticed is that I've never seen one of the Australorps in a nesting box but have found eggs on the floor,is there a reason why they won't use them?
Sorry to jump in on your thread Maco5 but wanted to know about the strange egg as well:)

Back
Top Bottom