Really wet chickens

chicken daddy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Louisville
Last night I went out to check on my 3, 7 week old chickens to make sure they had gone up in thier coop because it sarted raining pretty heavy just before sun down, I found them huddled together in a corner of the run soaking wet. I dont know why they chose to stay outside instead of going in, I know they can and do use the ramp into their coop. So I quickly gathered them up and put them up in the coop. I checked on them this morning around 4:00 am, I work out of town for 24 hours at a time so I typically leave the coop open to the run while I am away and have my wife check on them throughout the day and close it up at night, and they all seemed ok. My question is, with them getting so wet could they get sick from that? Is there anything I can/should do for them to keep that from happening? I am totally new to raising chickens so I dont know what I need to do.

They'll be fine. I've watched our birds stand out in the pouring rain numerous times. Some go inside, others don't. They'll shake off the water and dry out just fine.

Some people even give their chickens baths. The only problem with them getting that wet is if the temp outside is really cold, and you would have noticed right away, they wouldn't have been acting normal. As far as coming down with a "cold" because they got wet, you don't need to worry.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom