Reason for Turning Eggs Odd Number of Times?

peeppeeppeep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Shasta County
I've seen it posted in many places that you have to turn the eggs an odd number of times each day. Is there any factual basis for this? Is it just tradition or what? If I'm turning the egg 3 times a day or 4 times a day beginning early in the a.m. and going until late at night (as the hen would) I don't see the reason for this recommendation. Thanks for your replies.

I heard that it is so the eggs don't stay in the same position every night (generally a longer period of time). I don't know if that is true though. When my hens sit on eggs they don't seem to be moving them that much.
idunno.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

During incubation eggs should be turned several times a day to prevent the yolk from settling to one side and exercise the embryo.

I know my turner turns them more then 3 times a day. You should invest in one of those. They are great. You don't have to say, OH did I turn those eggs this morning or OH I forgot to turn my eggs yesterday.

My turner is so slow that you can't see it moving. It moves continually. It is a Little Giant turner. I like the idea of the continuous slow movement (just because it "seems" practical...)

The "automatic turner" suits me well because I don't like being "interrupted" from other activities to go turn eggs and I think it is "counter-productive" to be opening the incubator so OFTEN.

just my 2 pesos worth,
smile.png

-Junkmnme-
old.gif

Well my DS has done the incubating here. We only have an LG still air, no turner. He had done it twice 1st with duck eggs, then with chicken eggs (Bantam). Both times he turned twice a day. 100% hatch rate for both.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the input. I didn't want to invest in the automatic turner until I find out if I'm going to do this enough to make it worthwhile. I have the eggs in egg cartons with one end raised and turn the entire carton 3-4 times a day, depending on my schedule. If I have to leave in the afternoon then I do it before and after I return so they don't sit too long in one place.

I have a "log" (a piece of paper with the dates) on top of the Hovabator and each time I turn the eggs I write down the time. 'Cause you are right, I would never remember otherwise. My memory is not that great!

So I guess it is just more traditional and not that important whether they get turned 3, 4 or 5 times a day as long as they get turned and the 'bator is not open too much. The great thing about the egg carton method is that it is MUCH quicker than it would be to turn all 30 eggs by hand. I just hope it works!

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom