Reasoning behind stair stepping the roost?

Stepped roost require less floor space, and it is easier for lard bottomed hens to go to bed at night and to get up in the morning if they can do so in small steps. These roost also make it harder for you (or at least for me) to work under or behind them.
I think that they take up more floor space...at least floor space that I could walk on.
They wouldn't work in my long narrow coops.

caf.gif

Hmmm...linear or ladder. Well I don't have linear so...
I agree with BOTH aart and chickengeorgeto. Linear looks like something I might consider if I ever build another coop, looks like it may be easier to clean if you have a fixed ladder roost. My ladder is hinged so I can lift it up and hook it to a hook in the ceiling and walk under it and clean. I also have poop catchers (tubs with pdz) under there. It would be a total pain if it did not lift up.

I also do like georges' "lard bottom" comment. All mine will be that way I assume (I sort of chose them for that), the cockerel is already starting to take a step or so down to get off and couple of girls are as well. I still have one SLW that dreams of being an eagle or something and takes off every morning-she does not land gracefully
roll.png

Last edited:
caf.gif

Hmmm...linear or ladder. Well I don't have linear so...
I agree with BOTH aart and chickengeorgeto. Linear looks like something I might consider if I ever build another coop, looks like it may be easier to clean if you have a fixed ladder roost. My ladder is hinged so I can lift it up and hook it to a hook in the ceiling and walk under it and clean. I also have poop catchers (tubs with pdz) under there. It would be a total pain if it did not lift up.
Depends on how you 'clean'....or 'manage manure'.

My roost boards(poop catchers) are waist high and I sift out all the poops every other day or so.
Very easy to access and space under boards protect feed stations and leave chicken floor space.

Depends on how you 'clean'....or 'manage manure'.

My roost boards(poop catchers) are waist high and I sift out all the poops every other day or so.
Very easy to access and space under boards protect feed stations and leave chicken floor space.

Darn typing thingy. What I meant was linear with poop boards may be easier to clean than trying to get under "fixed" ladder roosts. Since mine hinge up and I can walk fully erect under them and get to the corners without have to do some fancy old fat lady moves. The top rung is atleast 20" away from the wall, but it still gets dusty and need to be cleaned as well as the bedding that is back there.

Oh, btw, I think both linear and ladder are great ideas. When we built our coop the ladder is what I wanted (I don't know if the chickens really even care). But as time goes by, you can see where you might want to do things a little different. I wish I had more outdoor space, even though my 7 seem to be fine with what I have.

Also how I "manage/clean" the manure is scoop the poops out everyday. Of course I have 7 supervisors who stand around and discuss whether or not it is a good job or not
tongue.png

Mine is 8' long and 3' from the wall with a single level. Of course after building this, the girls don't roost on the 2x4, the roost on the lip by the ladder. So I added another board there (2nd picture) to give them a little more for their feet.
How wide was that thin board on top of the ladder they preferred to the wider board? How old were they when they were using it? I’m guessing it is a 1x which would make it ¾” thick. I’d also guess they were fairly young, under 3 months? Maybe food for thought about whether they always prefer wider roosts? I think you did right by widening it though. ¾” is just too thin for full-sized fowl adults. I have full-sized fowl - Sussex/Rock/Australorp size. Mine have no problems jumping/flying to a 5’ high roost and no problems flying down. But I have a large coop with lots of space for them to spread their wings and fly up and down and a big clear landing space. Coop size/layout has been mentioned but I think open space is a consideration for what type of roosts you need. If they don’t have room to fly then they may need ramps or steps to get up or down. Silkies can’t fly. Some other decorative breeds are sort of blindfolded with feathers. Bantam chickens can fly better than larger chickens. What chickens you keep could have an influence on what roosting and roost access system you use. I don’t think there is one way that is best for everyone. I think what is best for you is the one that suits your unique situation. There are pros and cons to each one.

How wide was that thin board on top of the ladder they preferred to the wider board? How old were they when they were using it? I’m guessing it is a 1x which would make it ¾” thick. I’d also guess they were fairly young, under 3 months? Maybe food for thought about whether they always prefer wider roosts? I think you did right by widening it though. ¾” is just too thin for full-sized fowl adults.

I have full-sized fowl - Sussex/Rock/Australorp size. Mine have no problems jumping/flying to a 5’ high roost and no problems flying down. But I have a large coop with lots of space for them to spread their wings and fly up and down and a big clear landing space. Coop size/layout has been mentioned but I think open space is a consideration for what type of roosts you need. If they don’t have room to fly then they may need ramps or steps to get up or down.

Silkies can’t fly. Some other decorative breeds are sort of blindfolded with feathers. Bantam chickens can fly better than larger chickens. What chickens you keep could have an influence on what roosting and roost access system you use.

I don’t think there is one way that is best for everyone. I think what is best for you is the one that suits your unique situation. There are pros and cons to each one.
The original was a 1"...then added the 2". They're 2 1/2 year olds so way too big for the little roost board. I even have one now that likes to sleep at the top of the ramp...so much for the brilliant designs of man vs the will of the chicken... :)

Most of them hop up on the ramp at the 1/2 way point, then hop up the rest of the way to the roost...and the floor is about 3 inches of pdz for a fairly soft landing if they jump down.

My ladder is hinged so I can lift it up and hook it to a hook in the ceiling and walk under it and clean. I also have poop catchers (tubs with pdz) under there. It would be a total pain if it did not lift up.

I have a blue tarp under mine, I just pull out and replace with a fresh one to clean...

The roosting area is 5x8 and has almost 60 linear feet of perching space, plus provide a place under it that birds can 'escape' to when being 'harassed' I find the hens use the space under it quite often to deter the roosters advances...

Back
Top Bottom