Reasons for Sour Crop and Slow Crop

Flush amounts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...liquid-and-not-emptying.1495916/post-24968325
If the hen won't drink it on her own, then syringe or tube the flush into her. You will need to determine if her crop will hold all the liquid and take care she doesn't aspirate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
Got up this morning to two girls with COMPLETELY FLAT crops!!! I am amazed!! Loretta's hasn't been completely flat in months!!!

I want to thank all of you guys for your time, advice and patience with me about my girls!!! I have been through hell and back with Loretta!!

I left the molasses flush with them for 3 hours yesterday. I noticed they were drinking quiet a bit. Before going to roost, their poo was brown water. It concerned me at first but then I told myself "What else would you expect from Blackstrap Molasses." LoL. Dolly had not eaten one bite for going on 3 days! This morning she was hungry so I gave both a little crumble.

I cut out their morning treat. I would give them shelled corn, ham or tuna about 3 days a week. Afternoon I would divide a piece of bread. I bought Nutrena Grain Scratch and will throw a handful in the morning and afternoon. Hopefully we are on the road too mend!

I appreciate this forum and you wonderful Chicken lovers so much!! MANY THANKS!!!

Got up this morning to two girls with COMPLETELY FLAT crops!!! I am amazed!! Loretta's hasn't been completely flat in months!!!

I want to thank all of you guys for your time, advice and patience with me about my girls!!! I have been through hell and back with Loretta!!

I left the molasses flush with them for 3 hours yesterday. I noticed they were drinking quiet a bit. Before going to roost, their poo was brown water. It concerned me at first but then I told myself "What else would you expect from Blackstrap Molasses." LoL. Dolly had not eaten one bite for going on 3 days! This morning she was hungry so I gave both a little crumble.

I cut out their morning treat. I would give them shelled corn, ham or tuna about 3 days a week. Afternoon I would divide a piece of bread. I bought Nutrena Grain Scratch and will throw a handful in the morning and afternoon. Hopefully we are on the road too mend!

I appreciate this forum and you wonderful Chicken lovers so much!! MANY THANKS!!!
Glad to hear the crops emptied!
Yes, molasses has a laxative affect on chickens, so keep that in mind. It can be used as a flush for constipation or if you suspect a bird ate something toxic as well.

Hopefully this has resolved most of your problems. I would stick with them eating their normal feed. Cut the scratch on back to one time a day about 1 Tablespoon per bird. You don't want them getting too heavy. I get it, mine Love Love Love treats and I Love giving them too, but hens pack on fat in the abdomen for the most part. A fatty abdomen can lead to Fatty Liver Disease, it can also make hens more prone to prolapse and the excess fat can make it more difficult to lay eggs (which can lead to a prolapse).
Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom