Reasons for Sour Crop and Slow Crop

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
Hello Everyone,
I am back with yet another crop Problem. Since fall of last year I have been fighting sour crop with my 1 and a half year old Blue Orpington. I have tried every suggestion that I have been given on here, YouTube, articles and friends advice. NOTHING worked. So, I have been checking her crop every morning. If I feel a little squishy ball in the morning, I leave her in a cage until it drains, usually that afternoon, then let her out. It drains, just very slow. It has worked for months so I feel if it works, keep doing it.

NOW, I have yet another lavender orpington with sour crop. I have cut down on treats, changed food, make sure the run stays as clean as I can, sweep up food at the end of the night, no mold, dumped water and provide fresh every morning. They don't free range and I do turn them out in a larger run that isn't enclosed. They have been wormed, no lice or mites and no illnesses as I can see.

The trouble with this one is quiet different. I had her caged yesterday and today, withheld food but allowed water and provided grit. Her crop is extremely squishy and WILL NOT come up while massaging and holding with beaks pointing down. She seems to burp though and her comb and waddles got extremely red. I gave her coconut oil today and she pooped medium brown in color, a little runny and about the size of a quarter. The crop still has room so It doesn't appear clogged. I can hear it squish. About 5 o'clock I gave her a full syringe of Epsom salt water (tsp in a cup of water) massaged and tried to get her to throw it up with no luck. I am at my wits end.

All these chickens were full of lice, worms, red and fowl mites, upper respiratory infection and coccidiosis when I bought them. I addressed all this and WON!!! (The lady didnt tell me any of this. I was new to chickens and very naive.)

HELP!!!!! She is my favorite and I don't want to loose her! Thanks ahead of time!

BTW: What am I doing wrong?

Photos may be helpful. Her poop and of her?

Is the crop sour or pendulous?
The crop is not emptying overnight right? You're checking first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink right?
Just have to ask!:)

Does she lay eggs?
Often an issue with the crop is just a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive disorders, worms, Coccidiosis and infection are some common conditions that can cause the crop and digestive system to slow down.

I rarely isolate or cage a hen that is having issues with a crop, it's stressful for them to be caged and for me, it has not made that much of a difference in whether treatment is successful or not.

When is the last time you dewormed and treated for Coccidiosis?
You can treat for sour crop, worms and coccidiosis all at the same time if need be.

Your crop bra may need some modifications if it's not working now. Carol has some very good ideas in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/

I would not vomit her, it's risky and she could aspirate.

Flush amounts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...liquid-and-not-emptying.1495916/post-24968325
If the hen won't drink it on her own, then syringe or tube the flush into her. You will need to determine if her crop will hold all the liquid and take care she doesn't aspirate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
Got up this morning to two girls with COMPLETELY FLAT crops!!! I am amazed!! Loretta's hasn't been completely flat in months!!!

I want to thank all of you guys for your time, advice and patience with me about my girls!!! I have been through hell and back with Loretta!!

I left the molasses flush with them for 3 hours yesterday. I noticed they were drinking quiet a bit. Before going to roost, their poo was brown water. It concerned me at first but then I told myself "What else would you expect from Blackstrap Molasses." LoL. Dolly had not eaten one bite for going on 3 days! This morning she was hungry so I gave both a little crumble.

I cut out their morning treat. I would give them shelled corn, ham or tuna about 3 days a week. Afternoon I would divide a piece of bread. I bought Nutrena Grain Scratch and will throw a handful in the morning and afternoon. Hopefully we are on the road too mend!

I appreciate this forum and you wonderful Chicken lovers so much!! MANY THANKS!!!

Hello Everyone,
I am back with yet another crop Problem. Since fall of last year I have been fighting sour crop with my 1 and a half year old Blue Orpington. I have tried every suggestion that I have been given on here, YouTube, articles and friends advice. NOTHING worked. So, I have been checking her crop every morning. If I feel a little squishy ball in the morning, I leave her in a cage until it drains, usually that afternoon, then let her out. It drains, just very slow. It has worked for months so I feel if it works, keep doing it.

NOW, I have yet another lavender orpington with sour crop. I have cut down on treats, changed food, make sure the run stays as clean as I can, sweep up food at the end of the night, no mold, dumped water and provide fresh every morning. They don't free range and I do turn them out in a larger run that isn't enclosed. They have been wormed, no lice or mites and no illnesses as I can see.

The trouble with this one is quiet different. I had her caged yesterday and today, withheld food but allowed water and provided grit. Her crop is extremely squishy and WILL NOT come up while massaging and holding with beaks pointing down. She seems to burp though and her comb and waddles got extremely red. I gave her coconut oil today and she pooped medium brown in color, a little runny and about the size of a quarter. The crop still has room so It doesn't appear clogged. I can hear it squish. About 5 o'clock I gave her a full syringe of Epsom salt water (tsp in a cup of water) massaged and tried to get her to throw it up with no luck. I am at my wits end.

All these chickens were full of lice, worms, red and fowl mites, upper respiratory infection and coccidiosis when I bought them. I addressed all this and WON!!! (The lady didnt tell me any of this. I was new to chickens and very naive.)

HELP!!!!! She is my favorite and I don't want to loose her! Thanks ahead of time!

BTW: What am I doing wrong?
So they were given no medications? Sour crop is an yeast infection, so you need some sort of anti-fungal medication. The easiest to find is Monistat, which can be found in pharmacies.

I recommend reading this article. It helped a lot when I had to deal with sour crop in my flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I have one hen that has a problem with sour crop. Started about 18 months ago. I spent almost $100 on all different anti-fungal meds including a prescription from the vet and so much time giving her meds. The only thing that has helped is a crop bra. She wears it for months at a time (take it off periodically to clean it out) and then take it off to give her a break until her crop starts getting big again. She is able to keep it off for a couple weeks most of the time but has been off as long as six weeks.

So they were given no medications? Sour crop is an yeast infection, so you need some sort of anti-fungal medication. The easiest to find is Monistat, which can be found in pharmacies.

I recommend reading this article. It helped a lot when I had to deal with sour crop in my flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I used monistat, augmentin, diflucan all at different times, none being successful. I have followed everything to a t.

I have one hen that has a problem with sour crop. Started about 18 months ago. I spent almost $100 on all different anti-fungal meds including a prescription from the vet and so much time giving her meds. The only thing that has helped is a crop bra. She wears it for months at a time (take it off periodically to clean it out) and then take it off to give her a break until her crop starts getting big again. She is able to keep it off for a couple weeks most of the time but has been off as long as six weeks.
I bought one months ago. It appeared to help at first but now not at all.

Does it push the crop up enough? I had to adjust it several times and it‘s more snug than I thought would be necessary but it lifts it up pretty high. I make mine out of old bras and zip ties.
Yes, when I got it I had to take in the part that goes around her head to help push it up. The part that fits under the wings and latches fits perfectly

Back
Top Bottom