Reasons for Sour Crop and Slow Crop

Photos may be helpful. Her poop and of her?

Is the crop sour or pendulous?
The crop is not emptying overnight right? You're checking first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink right?
Just have to ask!:)

Does she lay eggs?
Often an issue with the crop is just a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive disorders, worms, Coccidiosis and infection are some common conditions that can cause the crop and digestive system to slow down.

I rarely isolate or cage a hen that is having issues with a crop, it's stressful for them to be caged and for me, it has not made that much of a difference in whether treatment is successful or not.

When is the last time you dewormed and treated for Coccidiosis?
You can treat for sour crop, worms and coccidiosis all at the same time if need be.

Your crop bra may need some modifications if it's not working now. Carol has some very good ideas in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/

I would not vomit her, it's risky and she could aspirate.
They were 2nd worming was about a month ago, I check ALL my my hens crop every morning when I take them off the roost. They are orpingtons and I don't like for them to jump much even though their perch is not high at all. The one that keeps the sour crop lays even when I cage her in the mornings. Not sure about the one that just got the sour crop. I have watched her closely and seen her in her nesting box but no egg. I though she might be eggs bound and gave a a 20 min bath in a tbsp of Epsom salt but she really doesn't have laboured breathing or penguin walk. The first one I did vomit her at the beginning months ago but the second one won't vomit, crop has not gone down one bit and doesn't appear to be hard or impacted. I just gave them both more monistat. I will post pics in awhile

The best thing that has worked for me with birds who have slow working crops is to feed small meals several times a day. No yogurt, low fiber (no grass or hay in run), and plenty of water. These birds don't need a complicated diet. Mine have done well on layer pellets in limited amounts with occasional apple or cantaloupe for treats. If I think I need to add probiotics I use benebac for birds and add a sprinkle exact hand bird feeding formula to the diet. Chronic cases may need a crop flush and be evaluated for viral or bacterial issues. Do not let a bird with a history of sour crop to engorge on any type of food. Keep the diet simple and in limited amount. I have two hens who have issue with their crop and as long as I keep the diet simple they do great.

Got up this morning to two girls with COMPLETELY FLAT crops!!! I am amazed!! Loretta's hasn't been completely flat in months!!!

I want to thank all of you guys for your time, advice and patience with me about my girls!!! I have been through hell and back with Loretta!!

I left the molasses flush with them for 3 hours yesterday. I noticed they were drinking quiet a bit. Before going to roost, their poo was brown water. It concerned me at first but then I told myself "What else would you expect from Blackstrap Molasses." LoL. Dolly had not eaten one bite for going on 3 days! This morning she was hungry so I gave both a little crumble.

I cut out their morning treat. I would give them shelled corn, ham or tuna about 3 days a week. Afternoon I would divide a piece of bread. I bought Nutrena Grain Scratch and will throw a handful in the morning and afternoon. Hopefully we are on the road too mend!

I appreciate this forum and you wonderful Chicken lovers so much!! MANY THANKS!!!
Glad to hear the crops emptied!
Yes, molasses has a laxative affect on chickens, so keep that in mind. It can be used as a flush for constipation or if you suspect a bird ate something toxic as well.

Hopefully this has resolved most of your problems. I would stick with them eating their normal feed. Cut the scratch on back to one time a day about 1 Tablespoon per bird. You don't want them getting too heavy. I get it, mine Love Love Love treats and I Love giving them too, but hens pack on fat in the abdomen for the most part. A fatty abdomen can lead to Fatty Liver Disease, it can also make hens more prone to prolapse and the excess fat can make it more difficult to lay eggs (which can lead to a prolapse).
Just something to think about.

The crop is not emptying overnight right? You're checking first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink right?

Does she lay eggs?
Often an issue with the crop is just a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive disorders, worms, Coccidiosis and infection are some common conditions that can cause the crop and digestive system to slow down.

I rarely isolate or cage a hen that is having issues with a crop, it's stressful for them to be caged and for me, it has not made that much of a difference in whether treatment is successful or not.

You can treat for sour crop, worms and coccidiosis all at the same time if need be.

Your crop bra may need some modifications if it's not working now. Carol has some very good ideas in this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/

This is Loretta, The one that has had sour crop on and off, for a year and her poop. I let them out in the dog kennel I use as a shelter when it rains. No food, just water

Attachments

• 20220222_110216.jpg
    20220222_110216.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220222_110244.jpg
    20220222_110244.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 8

Does she lay eggs?

This is Dolly that has had it for two days, no food just water and started her on Monistat this morning. It hasn't went down one bit in two days

Hello Everyone,
I am back with yet another crop Problem. Since fall of last year I have been fighting sour crop with my 1 and a half year old Blue Orpington. I have tried every suggestion that I have been given on here, YouTube, articles and friends advice. NOTHING worked. So, I have been checking her crop every morning. If I feel a little squishy ball in the morning, I leave her in a cage until it drains, usually that afternoon, then let her out. It drains, just very slow. It has worked for months so I feel if it works, keep doing it.

NOW, I have yet another lavender orpington with sour crop. I have cut down on treats, changed food, make sure the run stays as clean as I can, sweep up food at the end of the night, no mold, dumped water and provide fresh every morning. They don't free range and I do turn them out in a larger run that isn't enclosed. They have been wormed, no lice or mites and no illnesses as I can see.

The trouble with this one is quiet different. I had her caged yesterday and today, withheld food but allowed water and provided grit. Her crop is extremely squishy and WILL NOT come up while massaging and holding with beaks pointing down. She seems to burp though and her comb and waddles got extremely red. I gave her coconut oil today and she pooped medium brown in color, a little runny and about the size of a quarter. The crop still has room so It doesn't appear clogged. I can hear it squish. About 5 o'clock I gave her a full syringe of Epsom salt water (tsp in a cup of water) massaged and tried to get her to throw it up with no luck. I am at my wits end.

All these chickens were full of lice, worms, red and fowl mites, upper respiratory infection and coccidiosis when I bought them. I addressed all this and WON!!! (The lady didnt tell me any of this. I was new to chickens and very naive.)

HELP!!!!! She is my favorite and I don't want to loose her! Thanks ahead of time!

BTW: What am I doing wrong?
Dolly. Her poop was about quarter size and the same color, just no white

Attachments

• 20220222_110305.jpg
    20220222_110305.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 10
Do they have grit?
It's unusual for 2 hens to have crop issues at the same time.

When was the last time they laid eggs and were dewormed?
The one that has crop issues for a long time just laid an egg about 3 days ago. The one that just got it, I am not sure if she has ever laid. I have seen her on the nest a couple of times here lately not producing one. I gave her a wamn epson salt soak for 20 mintues two days ago. The were wormed the 2nd round a month ago

The one that has crop issues for a long time just laid an egg about 3 days ago. The one that just got it, I am not sure if she has ever laid. I have seen her on the nest a couple of times here lately not producing one. I gave her a wamn epson salt soak for 20 mintues two days ago. The were wormed the 2nd round a month ago
They have small and larger grit plus oyster shells

Back
Top Bottom