Reassimilating

30 days out. She goes back during the day where she is an outcast. She tries so hard to nibble with them but they attack her and still she hangs in there. But runs to the garage at night to sleep. Tried to kennel her at night in coop. Nothing changed. Taking another one out…. Put them together or separate in garage?? I’m scared second one may hurt her. Her wound is healed but her tail feathers remain hinky. Is this what flock is picky about?

30 days out. She goes back during the day where she is an outcast. She tries so hard to nibble with them but they attack her and still she hangs in there. But runs to the garage at night to sleep. Tried to kennel her at night in coop. Nothing changed. Taking another one out…. Put them together or separate in garage?? I’m scared second one may hurt her. Her wound is healed but her tail feathers remain hinky. Is this what flock is picky about?
If you are more comfortable with them penned separately but near each other, that is great. It may work out ok.
How large is your flock? Could you take them all out, house them temporarily in kennels for a week while letting her and one other have the run and coop? Then, when you reintroduce the others, she will be the one who is comfortable and at home in the coop.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
How old is the bird? How many other birds do you have? And probably most importantly, how much SPACE do they all have and what is in that space?
I would start by keeping the integratee in a large wire dog crate wrapped in chicken wire so the other birds cannot reach in to peck it but can see and hear it. This is the "look-don't-touch" portion of the integration and you should do this for about 2 weeks.
During this time, you need to try to make as much space for the flock as possible. If you don't free range, expand the run size shooting for 20 or more sq ft per bird in the space. Add lots of perches, pallets, old wood chairs, wood saw horses, anything you can find that could be used to fly up on or dig around or hide behind.
After the two weeks is over, let the little one out to get to know the space for an hour or so. Then let the other birds in and stay to supervise. As long as the little one can run away and hide from the others and isn't actually cornered and attacked, they will eventually integrate. It takes months to fully integrate.
Good luck.
Thanks so much. I have 7 hens. Coop is 8x8. Run is 8 x 19. Free range during the day. But she is not allowed to share treats. She tries to return repeatedly but they run her out so during the day she stays at a distance. She shows no sign of standing her ground. I don’t see how to keep her in a kennel. The run would be too hot. The coop won’t help since the other hens are out during the day. I tried at night and the behavior remained same during the day. She runs to the garage at night. I’m guessing that means she doesn’t feel safe in the coop even at night. If I pull a hen to come stay with her at night I’m afraid they’ll fight in a small space. How much space do I need for 2 to keep them safe. Would two dog kennels next to each other provide the same “getting along” as housed together?

Thanks so much. I have 7 hens. Coop is 8x8. Run is 8 x 19. Free range during the day. But she is not allowed to share treats. She tries to return repeatedly but they run her out so during the day she stays at a distance. She shows no sign of standing her ground. I don’t see how to keep her in a kennel. The run would be too hot. The coop won’t help since the other hens are out during the day. I tried at night and the behavior remained same during the day. She runs to the garage at night. I’m guessing that means she doesn’t feel safe in the coop even at night. If I pull a hen to come stay with her at night I’m afraid they’ll fight in a small space. How much space do I need for 2 to keep them safe. Would two dog kennels next to each other provide the same “getting along” as housed together?
Please start a new thread in Flock Management and include pictures of your setup.

Back
Top Bottom