Reassurance please re:temps

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I live in NM and it's generally mild. I have 4 RI red hens. This week it is supposed to be very cold and one night it will only be 9 degrees and another only 16 degrees. Daytime temps are 40's and 50's with one day only 39. The coop is not insulated, but tomorrow we are going to put more layers on it (tarps, bubble wrap) to make shift more insulation. We are leaving for a week and our neighbor is caring for them. Will they be too cold? Should I be trying to find a heat lamp on Thanksgiving morning before we fly out? Ugh. It's NEVER this cold. I can't even remember the last time I saw a single digit or even close to that. Please tell me the girls can handle that temp at night.

Bree

Heat lamps, generally speaking, have more potential to do harm rather than good. They'll be fine. 9 is the high here during the winter... if we're lucky.
wink.png

Chickens handle the cold much better than the heat. Is their roost wide enough so they can settle down and cover their feet? I would not recommend a heat lamp, not really safe in the coop. I have a flat panel heater (from shopthecoop.com) attached to the wall that has a thermostat and turns on at freezing and shuts off at 45 degrees. Not all breeds need it, but it helps me sleep at night knowing they are ok. It's last minute so I would throw in hay bales, some place for them to snuggle to keep warm. What is up with the temp in NM??

Thanks guys! They have a flat roost to snuggle down on and they huddle together too. Thank you!!! I was trying to figure out what to do on Thanksgiving morning for them!

Bree

They wiil be fine. I grew up on a farm in wisconsin. No heat in the coop. We never lost a chicken or had frostbite even in -20 weather the trick is a dry draft free coop.

If you're really worried, I suggest investing in this flat panel coop heater. It's cheaper here though. I have one and love it (and my chickens do too - when it's super cold they don't leave the coop!) I'll be the first to admit that chickens don't *need* heat, meaning that they can survive without it, but if you are concerned about their comfort, I do recommend the flat panel coop heater.

Back
Top Bottom