Reccomend Medications

Megado95

Hatching
Jun 9, 2020
I'm new to chickens this year and have already had to treat them for coccidiosis and lice. I'm sick of scrambling at the last minute to go to the store to get the correct medication for them. I want to have things on hand here that they may need. What are the most common sicknesses? What medication do you recommend, what is it used for, and how do you use it? For example, what should I have on hand for a respitory infection? Thanks!

I understand where you are coming from. But in reality, with good housing(huge ventilation) and good management, I wouldn't ever expect to have a respiratory infection. And without knowing what the problem was (i.e. viral, bacterial, fungal, protozoal, environmental or even nutritional), it is impossible what course of action to take- medication or otherwise.

After thousands of chickens and over 30 breeds over almost 40 years off and on, I've never had a respiratory infection. So I know it is possible to prevent such.

That being said, there is a member here that has a lot of experience medicating and has some wisdom in many of her articles you may want to read through.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/casportpony.151473/#ams_articles
.../

Last edited:
I'm new to chickens this year and have already had to treat them for coccidiosis and lice. I'm sick of scrambling at the last minute to go to the store to get the correct medication for them. I want to have things on hand here that they may need. What are the most common sicknesses? What medication do you recommend, what is it used for, and how do you use it? For example, what should I have on hand for a respitory infection? Thanks!
:welcome

It's nice to have a few things on hand for emergencies, especially during this difficult time when supplies seem a bit short and getting to a store is sometimes a challenge as well.
You don't mention where you are located in the world, so I'll give you a "list" of products found in the U.S. that I would consider either keeping on hand or knowing how to source. Some products you may never need - I hope not! I'm all about being budget friendly, I'm cheap and I use Dollar Store products on myself when possible, so I also use those for my chickens too. If you have a Dollar Tree where everything is $1.00, check with them first for things like small tubes of triple antibiotic ointment, a box of plain epsom salts, gauze pads, etc. Sometimes you can score, sometimes not. Most of these things can be ordered online (Amazon, Pet Supply, Tractor Supply) or you can find them at Tractor Supply type stores. Again, I compare prices - I love online shopping, so I do a lot of price comparisons before I make my decision.

Some basics I always make sure I have on hand is Triple antibiotic ointment /Plain Neosporin, Sports Wrap, a poultry vitamin like Poultry Cell (poultry nutri-drench is o.k. but it does not contain as many B vitamins) and some type of cleansing antiseptic like Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone-Iodine. Saline for flushing eyes/wounds can also be purchased or look up how to make your own. An eye ointment is nice to have on hand, but it's not something I keep since plain neosporin can be used in the eye until I got something else. But if you feel you need it, then Terramycin eye ointment would be good or you can use Vetericyn.

Epsom salts have numerous uses, but I mostly use it in soaking water. Vaseline I like to rub into combs and on legs/feet, just because...but it can also be used to treat Scaly Leg Mites.
Safeguard is a good de-wormer that is usually easy to find, getting a fecal float is ideal, but sometimes a vet just is not an option. Permethrin based products can be used to treat lice/mites on bird and in their housing -it's good to check your birds regularly to see if they have any external parasites.

Again...you can spend as much or little as you like. I do keep some things on hand, but do keep in mind that some medications have expiration dates.

I do agree, if you have questions about specific medications it would be great if you did reach out to @casportpony She is not only kind and generous with volunteering her time, but she is also willing to help everyone in the BYC community.

Good luck with your new chickens!

1597598498343.png
1597598475251.png
1597599515520.png
1597598592836.png
1597599643642.png
1597598560016.png
1597598809130.png
1597598940313.png
1597598894499.png
1597598517594.png
1597598464733.png