Reccomendations for good guard dog type that won't kill chickens...

in general all dog will make good guard for your flock.... just some breeds are harder to train as they are bred for specific jobs.....

but.. consistency, common sense and time can fix all that...

Quote:
Agree, for many years I had a Newfoundland Border Collie cross that was huge, friendly and liked to sit out and watch/guard the chickens while free ranging. I never had predator problems while he was alive. I did have to train him when young that chickens were not chewtoys or chasing games. The chickens got used to him and would unconcernedly scratch around him and even peck stuff off his coat. (I miss that hairy beast)

As has been mentioned training is important. But, if your seriously looking for a guardian dog the best start IS a breed that has been bred specifically as a guardian dog. Do not buy a show dog of those breeds you want to get a "working" puppy of one of those breeds. Breeds such as Great pyranise, mastiff & anatolian shepherds or mixes of breeds like this. I know wyoming, montana ranchers will have these type of dogs or mixes to guard their sheep, goats, cattle and have great success. There are many things to concider when getting one of these dogs. Is it going to be with the chickens all the time? Am I willing to put in the training and seek help to make this dog a great protecter of chickens? Can I afford the dog food and vet bills? A Great Pyranise can weigh 140 lbs. Am I ready for a dog............ Really? Or............ do I just need a good dog to let it out with the chickens the 2 or 3 hours a day they a free ranging?
If your serious about a dog for this, figure out the role you want this dog to have with your family, chickens and everyone else that comes over. There are many choices out there depending on exactly what you want. Picking a good breed for what you want done is a great start!

the lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Last edited:
Training is a big factor. But I'm with the Great Pyrenes people. Depending on your coyote problem you may need two. A goat farmer in my area got one and noticed coyotes becoming smarter by drawing his away and while he was away other coyotes would go in and carry off his young ones. He got two and one would run them off the second would stay with the herd. Not to mention they would really mess up a coyote when they got to one.
Nothing against the pit bull breed, I just see them more intimadating to people then a coyote.
Also something about the pyrenes watching a birth of a goat and eating the placenta right afterwards, once they have that bond,they keep it forever and will protect it to the death. JMHO Will

i think it depends... its not the kind of breed of dog its the way the dog is and how u train it. I have a lab, and she doesn't bother the chickens (even tho she was a trained duck hunting dog), but she is trained very well and obeys us, but i would never leave my dog alone with the chickens, too many risks.

As many people have said, dogs of almost any breed can be taught to not kill their own chickens. This is pretty dependent on the personality of the individual dog and how good a trainer you are (I've known people that just couldn't explain anything to a dog so it would understand it, no matter how hard the dog tried).

However, it can't be stressed enough that it is also true that any breed of dogs (even LGDs) will chase and kill chickens if they aren't trained not to.

We have a german sheperd who is very obedient and is very gentle with the chickens.

It really depends on how you train them, but I find German sheperds to be very trainable.

Back
Top Bottom