Reccomendations for good guard dog type that won't kill chickens...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by logansmommy7, Jan 1, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Just wondering what good breeds of dogs are good to protect chickens/goats...we have had a coyote sighting lately and it might be good for us to try and get a guard dog of some type...

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Me, personally, will say it's not the breed, but how you train it and how old it is.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    A well trained German Shepherd or Pit Bull dog is excellent for guarding. Training is always a must with any breed! I'd start with a pup or young dog. JMHO though! Lots of folks have their own preferences [​IMG]

4. There are many breeds and recommendations that people will give you. But it all boils down to the individual dogs personality, the training that the dog is given, and how diligent the owner is in observing the dogs interaction with the birds.

5. Great Pyrenese, to Rat Terriors. I`m partial to my Pit Bull as she won`t allow anyone or anything to molest even her lizards in her yard. Agree with all on the training........Pop

6. GraceAK

GraceAK Songster

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I would say some manner of sheep dog, however they need tons of exercise and training. those big dogs are also good for this kinda thing. Great Pyrenees and such.

7. ruffles

ruffles Chirping

Jun 26, 2009
    Many here in Rehoboth, Mass, have Great Pyrennes to protect goats,sheep ,

Some have donkeys and llhamas.

Depending on the type of weather, anatolian shepherds , they are smooth coated, a Turkish Breed, there are many varieties. You can also check with the breed rescue, but,I recommend morethan one dog as apack can take down even the largest of dogs. Depending on how many livestock you have, consider cooping them up at night.

As far as Chickens, I knew of several Mastiffs here in Rehoboth,that did guard chickens.

Sandi

8. ruffles

ruffles Chirping

Jun 26, 2009
    Pitbulls are a favorite of mine,but, many can have a strong prey drive, I do question putting them with farm stock.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I have dogs that get along great with my chickens (two corgis and a border collie), but personally I think the best guard of my chickens is my guinea fowl. I have three of them, and they loudly alert me if anything comes in to the yard that shouldn't be there, and they'll even attack intruders if they can. Guinea fowl are great at guarding flocks! Plus the guinea fowl can just live in with the chickens, eat the same thing, and so on, so they're easy to care for.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I'm with Pop here! I have a pit mix that won't allow strange boys on the property either. lucky me, I have a houseful of girls!

training is key as others have said

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by