Received complaint from humane services about "roaming"

123abcde

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2021
My 4 16 wk old pullets have received complaints about "roaming" outside of our property. They told us to ensure our chickens are contained on our property. They used to do this a couple months ago but we thought they stopped, however the date of the complaint was 11 days ago, so it must've been when we were all at work. We live in a suburban area surrounded by 3 houses, one on each side, and the fences are all theirs so we can't put extra fencing on them. We let them wander around our backyard but Im not sure what to do now, their coop is obviously way too small to be locked into, and we can't get a chicken run because it's so snowy here. What should we do?

I mean, I hate to say this, but if you can't contain your chickens in a suburban area, then they may not be the best pet for you. Their safety and the compliance of your area are both important.

If you can fence the other areas of your backyard (the area through which they are escaping), then you can trim one wing each to prevent flying over the fences.

Also, how is snow preventing the building of a run (where are you located?)? More info about the yard would be helpful.

we can't get a chicken run because it's so snowy here.
I live in a snow belt and have a run.
full

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1634413264080.png

My 4 16 wk old pullets have received complaints about "roaming" outside of our property. They told us to ensure our chickens are contained on our property. They used to do this a couple months ago but we thought they stopped, however the date of the complaint was 11 days ago, so it must've been when we were all at work. We live in a suburban area surrounded by 3 houses, one on each side, and the fences are all theirs so we can't put extra fencing on them. We let them wander around our backyard but Im not sure what to do now, their coop is obviously way too small to be locked into, and we can't get a chicken run because it's so snowy here. What should we do?
When neighbors in an earlier time put their fences up on either side of us, we only had to install a back fence and the two front sections to enclose the yard. Maybe rules are different where you are, but that’s one possibility.

Like a few others have mentioned, I’m not sure how snow prevents you from installing a run. You may have to remove snow along the fence line for initial installation, but a snowblower or plow blade on an ATV would make short work of that.

Allowing free ranging in an urban/suburban setting is rude, imo. I didn’t allow my cats or dogs outside unsupervised to prevent messes on others’ properties. Chickens are no different that way.

Like every other animal owner, you are 100% responsible to keep your animals on your own property.

Imagine if you had neighbors letting dogs run loose to kill your chickens? Your chickens are doing the same thing to the neighbors' gardens.

There are many options for building a run -- chainlink dog kennel panels are one of the easiest if you're not particularly hand. :)

Like every other animal owner, you are 100% responsible to keep your animals on your own property.

Imagine if you had neighbors letting dogs run loose to kill your chickens? Your chickens are doing the same thing to the neighbors' gardens.

There are many options for building a run -- chainlink dog kennel panels are one of the easiest if you're not particularly hand. :)
Thanks for this :)
I'll look into trying to get them to make a run hopefully soon, for now I'll keep them in their coop for a couple days

Thanks for this :)
I'll look into trying to get them to make a run hopefully soon, for now I'll keep them in their coop for a couple days
I used whole pallets to make a run since I'm retired on a fixed income but wanted chickens so badly. Hardware cloth around the sides of the run and on top keeps predators out .Its also covered with a white tarp ( 10 x 20 )that lets light in but keeps rain and snow out($23)Nothing fancy but it works!

Back
Top Bottom