1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Receiving Eggs In The Mail-Now What?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frizzle Farmer, May 10, 2011.

1. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Tomorrow I'll be receiving eggs from 3 different farms from all over this great country. What should I do with them when they get here? Do I let them sit out, rotate, or just put them in my incubator? Would love any advice, this is my first time with shipped in fertilized eggs. Thanks!

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    same here, so, I am watching this one, I was advised intend to unpack them and let them sit for a day, small end down, until I set them in the incubator the very next day.
    I am setting mine on thursday or friday.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

This is what I do.

When I get the eggs, if they are already warm when I unpack them, I put them straight into the incubator. Why let them cool down? But I keep the turner off the first 2-3 days. If the eggs are cool when I get them I let them come to room temp then put them in with the turner off for the first 2-3 days. That gives them extra time to rest incase they have loose air sacs. Been working for me.

4. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Im getting eggs also [​IMG] Except Im putting them under my broody Do I let them sit also Good post OP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by