Recent flock photos

chiknhurder

Songster
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Cass County Missouri
Friday was 74 and sunny and, after loosing another pullet to the hawks, I spent the day in the pen working and had my camera with me. Taking advantage of the golden hours of light at dusk, I got some recent photos. Hope you enjoy.

My new EE's at about 12 weeks old. I bought 4 pullets and ended up with what looks like 3 and a cockerel. One of the pullets was killed and eaten by a red-tailed hawk hours before I took this shot.

My 6 month old Barred Rocks! Again, purchased 5 pullets and ended up with 3 roosters and 2 pullets who just started laying this week.

In this photo, and in the background, is my black Orpington and a buff Orpington. The 2 reds are Production Reds and egg laying machines.

My French Blue Copper Marans rooster (7 months old) showing his stuff.

My 7 month old French Blue Copper Marans hen who also just began laying this week.

French Blue Copper Marans rooster watching over his flock and trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Another late afternoon/early evening shot of my French Blue Copper Marans hen. I have a black one too that I've yet to get a good photo of.

A Cooper's Hawk checking out the goods.

Friday was 74 and sunny and, after loosing another pullet to the hawks, I spent the day in the pen working and had my camera with me. Taking advantage of the golden hours of light at dusk, I got some recent photos. Hope you enjoy.

My new EE's at about 12 weeks old. I bought 4 pullets and ended up with what looks like 3 and a cockerel. One of the pullets was killed and eaten by a red-tailed hawk hours before I took this shot.

My 6 month old Barred Rocks! Again, purchased 5 pullets and ended up with 3 roosters and 2 pullets who just started laying this week.

In this photo, and in the background, is my black Orpington and a buff Orpington. The 2 reds are Production Reds and egg laying machines.

My French Blue Copper Marans rooster (7 months old) showing his stuff.

My 7 month old French Blue Copper Marans hen who also just began laying this week.

French Blue Copper Marans rooster watching over his flock and trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Another late afternoon/early evening shot of my French Blue Copper Marans hen. I have a black one too that I've yet to get a good photo of.

A Cooper's Hawk checking out the goods.

Nice! Sorry you lost that pullet. Are your birds free ranged? I am always worried about hawks. I think I have every other predator taken care of, but when they are out of their yard and free-ranging in my fenced yard I am still concerned about hawks. I do have six dogs that are a bird deterrent but I try to keep my eyes on the sky and my roo does a good job of it too.

Nice! Sorry you lost that pullet. Are your birds free ranged? I am always worried about hawks. I think I have every other predator taken care of, but when they are out of their yard and free-ranging in my fenced yard I am still concerned about hawks. I do have six dogs that are a bird deterrent but I try to keep my eyes on the sky and my roo does a good job of it too.

I have almost 3 acres that they free-ranged on until last fall when a hawk killed one of my Marans hens and the neighbors dog killed 4. I increased their pen to 100 feet by 40 feet with a 5 foot high fence that they free-range in now. They were in the pen when the last one was taken on Friday. I have 5 roosters but the hawk still was successful.

Thanks iwiw60..... I'm a photographer by trade.

http://www.marc-grant.com
I knew it...I just KNEW it!!
bow.gif

Wow, very pretty flock! I am sorry for your losses to the hawk. But wow, that is some great photography...love the hawk pic too!

Quote: Wow, that is a very pretty picture! New Mexico?? Looks like our territory. We are suffering out a 10 year long drought that is really doing damage to our wildlife, plant life and water wells. But we will get thru it. We are pretty tough out here. LOL Gorgeous pic!!!

Back
Top Bottom