Recently a dear friend died and I inherited the black penedesenca he had

Recently a dear friend died and I inherited the black Penedesencas he had. They were in very bad condition right now they are improving they must be 2 years old. They are black the problem is that I only have one Roster and they must be the only ones that are adults on the island. I need to know if anyone else has to trade eggs.
Are you in Puerto Rico?
I sold some blacks to a friend in PR whom I lost track of after hurricanes Irma and Maria.
He lived on the north side of the island.
From what I read about Black Penedesencas, they're not pet friendly and can't be trained to interact with Humans. Very scared birds.
That isn't entirely accurate. It is true that they are very wary, thereby not very vulnerable to predation. It isn't just the blacks. The same applies to the other varieties (crele, partridge and wheaten), as well as other Mediterranean breeds like Anconas, Minorcas, Leghorns, etc..
I've been raising black Penes for 10 years and they've become my favorite breed of chicken and I haven't kept any other breed in almost that long.
While I admire their nature, that doesn't mean handling them won't tame them. Many of the people I've sold them to handle them regularly and they've become quite tame. That just isn't the way I raise birds because lap pets aren't important to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom