Recessive White

Mr D

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2015
SETX
I understand that for recessive whites to breed true, both parents must carry the gene (the Offspring needs two recessives to be Uni-white). For this example, we‘ll use a White Dorking and a Red Dorking. If we breed those two together, the offspring won’t be white because it‘ll only possess one copy of the recessive white gene. But will the Offspring look full Red Dorking? Is breeding a Red Dorking with a White Dorking the same as breeding two Reds?

CountryFlock

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
United States
If the white is recessive then white dorking crossed with red dorking would create phenotypically a red dorking, carrying one recessive white allele. No white phenotypically.

Breeding white dorking with red is definitely not the same as breeding red to red. The white dorking could be based e, Er. Who knows.

The Moonshiner

Professional Chicken Tender
Nov 17, 2016
Missouri
It all depends what the white one is underneath. Recessive white covers all patterns so if its the red dorking pattern underneath they will produce that pattern.
If the white is a different pattern underneath it will breed as that pattern. So say its black underneath crossed with the red dorking the black would be dominate and they wouldn't produce reds.

ki4got

Hatch-a-Holic
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Roanoke VA
Like it was replied above, it all depends what other mutations are hiding under the white...
From experience though, white dorkings typically hide silver grey and barring. crossing over a red, you may potentially get red duckwing, gold duckwing (heterozygous for silver in cocks - often confused for colored Dorkings) , silver duckwing or any of those in a barred pattern (crele being a barred red duckwing pattern).

Last edited:

Amer

Enabler
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Like it was replied above, it all depends what other mutations are hiding under the white...
from experience though, white dorkings typically hide silver grey and barring. crossing over a red, you may potentially get red duckwing, gold duckwing (heterozygous for silver in cocks - often confused for colored Dorkings) , silver duckwing or any of those in a barred pattern (crele being a barred red duckwing pattern).
X2

You don’t know what the white me hide.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I understand that for recessive whites to breed true, both parents must carry the gene (the Offspring needs two recessives to be Uni-white). For this example, we‘ll use a White Dorking and a Red Dorking. If we breed those two together, the offspring won’t be white because it‘ll only possess one copy of the recessive white gene. But will the Offspring look full Red Dorking? Is breeding a Red Dorking with a White Dorking the same as breeding two Reds?
thanks for asking this one about the time I was going to ask a similar question that ended up getting answered on this thread.

ChicksinMT

In the Brooder
May 8, 2019
All this talk about Dorkings, but where oh where do you find them. Other than the big hatcheries?

Mr D

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2015
SETX
Stephanie Givler Stone breeds White Dorkings. I found her via Facebook.

Top Bottom