Recieved my meat birds from Ideal

Quote:
Now that is a
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
How did this brooder setup work out for you? Are they still in there or have they moved on to bigger quarters? Are they still cute?

Quote:
How did this brooder setup work out for you? Are they still in there or have they moved on to bigger quarters? Are they still cute?

I have not moved them outside yet, the temps this week are getting colder. The smell is not too bad yet but I can sense a change in the poo factor. One more week and they will have to go out.

Note to all of you fine folks that have "How to raise meat chicken" pages, be kind to the ignorant and tell them these birds STINK. If I would have read that I would have skipped over the meat birds and stuck to regular chickens.

In retrospect, meat birds were a bad choice for me, they are too fragile and I don't like it when an animal stops thriving for no good reason. So far I have had one spraddle, one die, one I had to cull and one last night that was fine in the morning and was about dead last night.

No more mutants for me.

And yes they are still cute in an ugly sort of way.

Quote:
I bought these https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=CRS&Product=399

Note
: I am not saying anything negative about the birds I bought nor am I saying anything negative about Ideal. As I understand it meat birds have a higher mortality rate than other breeds.

thankies
wink.png

and YES,, meat birds die off fast sometimes,, even when everything is perfect, you can loose 20% of them before they get to the processor,,,,,,,so ive heard
wink.png

Quote:
I bought these https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=CRS&Product=399

Note
: I am not saying anything negative about the birds I bought nor am I saying anything negative about Ideal. As I understand it meat birds have a higher mortality rate than other breeds.

thankies
wink.png

and YES,, meat birds die off fast sometimes,, even when everything is perfect, you can loose 20% of them before they get to the processor,,,,,,,so ive heard
wink.png

Yeah that 20% may be fine for large operations, but 20%-30% out of 15 birds hurts a lot.

Plus it makes you feel like you failed the animal because you did not do something right.

i think "most" of the deaths are caused by too many, too close,, and too much feed,, now thats NOT the case sometimes,, but i think its probably at least 75% of it.
they say in 6 weeks they'll be 6lbs. ,, so i figure it will take me an extra 3 weeks,, but i bet it will be a better tasting bird,, plus i'll mix their feed with some of my feed mix
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom