Recipes for a Dehydrator

Quote:
i vac pac them but store really well in jars. they are good to eat dry, they are like healthy chips
wink.png

I have made many batches of jerky on my dehydrator but tried a new thing this past weekend. I made some from ground venison. We had the processor grind the meat without adding any fat to the grind. I then mixed about 1.5 lbs of ground meat, a package of taco seasoning, some liquid smoke, some taco sauce, some salt & pepper & a little hot sauce. I mixed it really good with my hands, (wearing rubber gloves of course) and dried it in sticks using my jerky works thingy. It turned out super. Took less time and is very easy to chew. This may be my new way from now on. You can add different spices to your meat for different flavors.

Quote:
Do you know if you can use ground beef for this, (prepackaged from the store) or do you think it would have too much fat in it?

I've been wanting to try it.

I got DH an Excalibur. They seem to have a great reputation. Prices vary greatly depending on what size machine you are looking for..you can even raise bread in it.

Spacecowgirl, no you shouldn't using regular burger to make the ground meat jerky UNLESS you have the meat guy grind you up some good lean meat & tell him not to add any fat to it. You can get a lean roast when on sale & have it ground if they will do it for you. You really don't want any fat in it as it will go rancid quickly and also takes longer to dry out with fat dripping or pooling on your pieces of jerky. Just not a good idea. I use ground deer or elk meat that hasn't had any fat added to it. I also will be getting a half of beef soon & will ask the processer to fix me some ground meat without added fat. Hope this helps!

I would love to learn more about the everyday things that you can dehydrate. Also, how do you use them? Do you rehydrate them before using? I know it's alot of questions but I'm new to this. I also just read about oven canning in "Countryside" magazine. Has anyone every done this?

Quote:
I agree with your interest...I want to be able to take advantage of having this great machine. Welcome all great recipes/ideas, etc..

Quote:
Thank you! I knew fatty meat would go rancid, but I'd seen recipes calling for ground beef, but was nervous to try it, as fatty as it is.

I'll try getting the meat ground myself. Good idea.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom