Recipes for Cleaning Supplies?

bragabit

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Southern Utah
Does anyone have any good recipes for cleaning supplies?

Something to clean cabinets? Windows or Carpets??

Trying to steer away from chemicals but still like to have an effective product. For example for my outside windows I use Vinegar, Water and dishsoap. Seems to work fairly well, not as good as toilet bowl cleaner (for takign hard water off) but you get my drift.

For windows I use vinegar and newspaper. For mirrors, a 50/50 vinegar and water solution and a cotton rag. For the bathtub I use a stiff bristled brush and baking soda. The tub surround is ceramic tile, so I clean that with vinegar to avoid leaving a residue on the tile.

Floors get mopped with vinegar and water. Carpets just get vacuumed, and I use a store bought spot remover. To freshen them I sometimes sprinkle them with baking soda, let it sit awhile, then vacuum it up.

A bit of bleach in the toilet bowl works well to clean and disinfect. I have hard water, so I use a store bought cleaner most of the time to keep the hard water stains at bay.

For wood cabinets I just wipe them down with a wet rag, if it's a stubborn spot baking soda helps. For painted cabinets a Magic Eraser works wonders. They are also great for cleaning stovetops.

Be careful using vinegar on your tile, the acid can eventually eat away the grout and etch your tile. Be sure to rinse it well and don't let it sit.

I use rubbing alcohol and a cotton rag on glass. I use a hot vinegar and water solution on carpet stains and an oxygen cleaner for larger high-traffic areas twice a year. I use baking soda with a little fine salt and a drop of essential oil for a carpet deodorizer. For a goo-gone substitute I use citrus oil. For cabinets I use soapy water. For toilets I just use plain bleach to disinfect, but we have soft water. You could try draining the toilet bowl and make a paste of vinegar and baking soda and letting it sit. I've heard a can of cola works well in toilet bowls for limescale. But, I've never tried it. The commercial bowl cleaners have acids that are more powerful than vinegar. I also use vinegar when I mop, works very well.

I nuke my damp rags and mob heads in the microwave for a minute before I use them, the hot steam really helps making cleaning easier without the help of commercial cleaners.

I love the magic eraser. I no longer fear crayons. LOL

Back
Top Bottom