Recipes to use up yolks?

Quote:
Omlette?

Sorry, I couldn't get past the coconut custard, apple charlotte, Champagne custard, Butterfinger Brulee, and chocolate truffle loaf.

I think I love you. (now why couldn't I be gifted with the eat whatever you want metabolism?
barnie.gif
)

My mum used to make a recipe called Goldrush Cake to use up her egg whites from making Pavalova - I'll ask her for it and get back to you. If you have any egg yoks left by then
wink.png
!
ETA Some one just posted it below!

Last edited:
This is my favorite pie, you can add a couple more yolks to the filling, it would just make it richer. And instead of meringue just use cool whip.

Coconut Cream Pie

Ingredients
· 3 cups milk
· 6 large eggs – room temperature – separated
· 1 cup white sugar
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 stick – 2 ounces butter
· 1 small (3-1/2 ounce) can sweetened flaked coconut
· 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· 10-inch baked pie crust

Directions
1. In a very large microwave save bowl combine then sugar, the flour and salt, stir to combine.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the whites, keep the whites for your meringue.
3. Beat the egg yolks with a whisk and slowly mix with the milk.
4. Gradually stir the milk into the sugar and flour mixture.
5. Microwave on high whisking often. As mixture begins to thicken whisk hard and often.
6. When mixture is very thick remove from the microwave and add the butter, vanilla and coconut. Stir well to combine.
7. Turn mixture into baked pie crust, cover with meringue and bake in a 350° oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden.

Meringue

6 egg whites
1-teaspoon vanilla
1/2-teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2-cup sugar

Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until they hold soft peaks. Then gradually add sugar a little at a time beating well after each addition until all sugar has been added. Beat until sugar is dissolved. Top pie and bake.

CoconutPie002.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never made this cake but it's one of Alton Brown's so it's got to be good right?

Gold Cake
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Ingredients

* 3/4 cup butter flavored vegetable shortening, 140 grams
* 1 1/4 cup sugar, 300 grams
* 2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted, 300 grams
* 3 teaspoons baking powder, 14 grams
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 8 egg yolks, beaten, 130 grams
* 3/4 cup milk, 180 grams
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans with shortening and set aside.

Cream together the shortening and the sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly alternate adding the egg yolks and milk with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix well.

Pour into the prepared pans, about 550 grams of batter for each cake. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you like lemon bars these are the very best I've ever had.

Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars

For the crust:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the filling:
6 extra-large eggs at room temperature (I used 9 of my large eggs)
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 to 5 large lemons)
1 cup flour
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.

LemonBars001.jpg

LemonBars003.jpg

Thanks everyone, they all sound great! I do love coconut and lemon bars. (have to wait for MIL lemons though, so much better than store bought)

Quote:
Omlette?

Sorry, I couldn't get past the coconut custard, apple charlotte, Champagne custard, Butterfinger Brulee, and chocolate truffle loaf.

I think I love you. (now why couldn't I be gifted with the eat whatever you want metabolism?
barnie.gif
)

yuckyuck.gif

I LOVE custard.

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas! I made this ice cream yesterday since I have lots of eggs, tend to like Alton Brown's recipes, and love ice cream. It was so creamy! The only change I made was that I added a splash of vodka to keep it from freezing beyond scoopability.

Definitely my new favorite ice cream recipe.

Back
Top Bottom