Reclaiming Crumble

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BC Chickens, May 23, 2011.

1. BC Chickens

BC Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Our 5 - 6 weeks old chicks love their crumble that we give them in one of those chicken feeders with the two rows of oval holes on each side. But when I go out to refill it in the morning and evening, the bigger pieces are all gone and what looks like mostly crumble dust (like sand) is left - and a LOT of it. By a lot, I mean like nearly half of what's in there. The crumble coming out of the bag looks fine, so they're eating that but there's more and more of the "dust" left. I hate to throw it away, grain prices being what they are, but it doesn't look like the chicks can eat it. Is there a way to maybe add water, dry it and re-crumble it? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    You could moisten it and they would love it as a treat. Only moisten what they are going to eat right then and throw away leftovers they dont eat.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1- serve it wet (mash)

Moldy feed can kill chickens, though, so like hennyannie said just wet what you need.

4. BC Chickens

BC Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks folks - appreciate the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by