Recognized purebred americana or not?

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I see countless posts regarding Easter Eggers or Americanas. Is there a recognized body that tracks blood lines of pure Americana chickens. The type of governing body I am asking about would be similar to CKC or ACK The governing body for dogs. I would suggest a pure americana chicken without papers could only be called an Easter Egger because the bloodline has not been proven. I apologize in advance if this subject has been debated previously.
Thank you for your comment.

I see countless posts regarding Easter Eggers or Americanas. Is there a recognized body that tracks blood lines of pure Americana chickens. The type of governing body I am asking about would be similar to CKC or AKC The governing body for dogs. I would suggest a pure americana chicken without papers could only be called an Easter Egger because the bloodline has not been proven.

In general, chickens (any breed) are not tracked that way. A chicken "is" the breed it looks like--it just needs to have the right traits, and breed true for them.

If there are any exceptions, I haven't heard of them.

I see countless posts regarding Easter Eggers or Americanas. Is there a recognized body that tracks blood lines of pure Americana chickens. The type of governing body I am asking about would be similar to CKC or ACK The governing body for dogs. I would suggest a pure americana chicken without papers could only be called an Easter Egger because the bloodline has not been proven. I apologize in advance if this subject has been debated previously.
Thank you for your comment.
That depends on if you’re misspelling Ameraucana. ‘Americana’or ‘Americauna’ is just Hatchery names for Easter Eggers and that confuses many people into thinking they are buying a true Ameraucana. There is no way to track Easter Egger ‘blood lines’ so to speak because they are basically mutts that carry a blue egg gene. I always use the Ameraucanas Breeders Club website for true Ameraucanas.

APA: American Poultry Association. There is a book of standards for recognized breeds. “Ameraucana” is a recognized breed. “Americana” and “Easter Egger” Are just mixed breeds.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do realize my spelling was out in left field. I was using the speech to text on my iPad.
as your responses indicate there are numerous understandings of what constitutes a pure bird of any breed. Just because it looks like or has the correct characteristics who is to say it’s offspring would breed true. This is why I was wondering who or what if any governing body tracked pure blood lines. So it seems the answer is none. I just find it odd the governance of pure bloodlines are not documented as with dogs or Horses.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do realize my spelling was out in left field. I was using the speech to text on my iPad.
as your responses indicate there are numerous understandings of what constitutes a pure bird of any breed. Just because it looks like or has the correct characteristics who is to say it’s offspring would breed true. This is why I was wondering who or what if any governing body tracked pure blood lines. So it seems the answer is none. I just find it odd the governance of pure bloodlines are not documented as with dogs or Horses.

no bloodline tracking at a high level. my guess is because chickens are considered more dispensable historically, as a relatively short lived farm animal whose purpose is eggs and meat and more baby chicks. Show chickens need to meet physical standards, but that market is certainly smaller. Although some would argue this point, chickens aren’t quite the companion animal that a dog can be, nor trainable and useful in the same way like a dog or horse.

I just find it odd the governance of pure bloodlines are not documented as with dogs or Horses.

I'm sure it's partly because of how chickens are usually raised: one or more roosters with a group of hens. There's no good way to tell which hen laid which egg, if you have a dozen hens of the same breed in one pen. And then you put a group of eggs in the incubator, and the chicks hatch and get all mixed up. And then you raise the group of chicks all together and they're still mixed up.

Yes, there are ways to tell which hen laid which egg, and ways to know which chick came out of which egg, but all of them are a real nuisance if you've got more than a very few chickens.

So even if you know the father, you usually don't know exactly which mother goes with which chick.

In contrast, it's usually obvious which foal or puppy came from which mother.

Back
Top Bottom