Recommenations of Wire mesh

its4john

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Des Moines Iowa
I'm building a coop and want it fully enclosed with wire mesh

The Chooks will be locked in their house at night

Would standard hexagonal chicken wire from our hardware store be ok? or would it be a waste of time?

Cost is an issue otherwise I would use very strong welded fencing wire

Any thoughts on which gauge to use ?

THX

Chickenwire would be like wrapping the coop in tissue paper and calling all the predators in to eat. I used 1/2" hardware cloth after reading the predator section. I have a Great Pyrenees that kills chickens and mine are all still living.
lol.png

Chicken wire is VERY expensive when you consider the cost of the chickens that you will lose because of it. Don't go cheap on the wire (been there, done that) thinking you'll save money. Then you won't have to waste money on buying a trap(s) to get your revenge on "mother nature" and complain about animals just doing what they need to do to survive and taking advantage of you offering up an easy meal!!!! If everyone new to chickens started out using hardware cloth/wire, the BYC "predator" section would see a 70% drop in posts. Build your coop/run correctly in the beginning and you won't even know what predators you may or may not have, or even care, because you'll be sleeping soundly and so will your chix.

Chicken wire is fine for keeping chickens IN, but not the best route for keeping predators out. If your chickens are locked inside a housing each night (assuming something besides chicken wire covers ventilation/windows), you might be okay, as long as you don't have issues with stray dogs, etc. Many people do use chicken wire. But the majority of people (on BYC) who lose chickens to predators either free range (no wire) or use chicken wire.

Just about any welded wire is good. Hardware cloth is great, but is quite expensive. You can use 2x4 (or smaller) welded wire, which is cheaper, and then overlap a smaller meshed wire over the lower 24 inches or so of the run (to prevent reach-ins). Any place like Lowes, Home Depot, and other home improvement/farm stores will carry it. Here's a sample: http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...h&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&N=0

Good luck.
If you don't like the tiny squares of hardware cloth, they can be painted easily with a roller or a sponge paint brush. I painted mine dark flat exterior brown because that's what I had around, or you can do black to blend in.

Hi! Any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot or on line at any of the larger poultry suppliers. As others said, chicken wire is not gonna keep your girls safe. Need to use something sturdier. Welded wire, hardware cloth or chain link. Hardware clothe is an "old school" term for galvanized wire mest with square openings. Comes in various size squares from 1"/4" on up. Also comes in various widths. Go to my page and scroll thru my pics and you'll see wheere i covered my windows with it. then you'll know what you are looking for. Also used a larger version of square welded wire to enclose the top of my covered run. Hope this helps.
Erik

Back
Top Bottom