1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Recommend a Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goofy Chickens, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Goofy Chickens

Goofy Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    LaGrange, Georgia
    I need recommendations for a new rooster. I had a blue copper moran, which was given to us when he was full grown, but he was quite aggressive. He's attacked my husband many times, even drawing blood through a layer of blue jeans and long johns! So for the sake of our small grandchildren, he's been given a new home.

I would like for our new rooster to have sharp contrasting colors, simply because I like to have a variety of colors and breeds running around the yard. I would also like for it to be kinda sorta on the large size. Not too large to squash the hens, though. My hens are orphingtons, marans, sex link, and some sort of laced breed.

I plan to order this rooster as a chick.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    New Hampshire reds are very calm....And have lots of colors.

Keep in mind ANY rooster can turn aggressive.

Most generally bigger the breed the more docile it is....

3. Goofy Chickens

Jan 24, 2013
    LaGrange, Georgia
    Boy, this is quite a job. Been Googling all cotton' pickin' day! I'm wanting a rooster with stunning colors, nice enough so that I can let my small grandchildren play in the yard, and big enough to intimidate the coyotes. I think I'm going to have to give up on color if I want a large rooster.

If I handle this rooster chick enough while it's young, will its aggression be reduced as it gets older?

4. Goofy Chickens

Jan 24, 2013
    LaGrange, Georgia
    Okay, so I'm gravitating toward the Jersey Giant.

As an aside, I am really enjoying the Back Yard Chickens site. Lots of great information here!!!

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    A coyote is a wild animal,no size is gonna ward it off,at least no size of a chicken will.He may defend his flock with his life but chances are he is gonna survive a Coyote...

Do not let him sit on your lap,this shows him dominating you.Don't walk around him,do not let him peck you.

Do pick him up at least once every other week.

Once he reaches his teen years he might get a lil outta hand but you can easily correct him with a hose.

6. Goofy Chickens

Jan 24, 2013
    LaGrange, Georgia
    Hmm. Interesting tips. I'll adhere to them. Thanks for responding!

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You may want to consider finding a mature male instead of starting with a chick. A mature male will be past the teen hormonal stage and will have a known disposition. This time of year there are numerous well behaved, oops or extra hatchling, boys available out there. Your hens would thank you for giving them a polite male.

Just don't expect a rooster of any breed to be able stand up to coyotes, or any large predator for that matter. If you are lucky the rooster will be the only bird you lose.

8. Goofy Chickens

Jan 24, 2013
    LaGrange, Georgia
    I like the idea of finding a mature male. Our local feed & seed store has a "trade day" once a month. I'll pay them a visit to see what's there for the pickin'.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I menat tos ay he is not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by