Recommendations for bedding

Dynamissa

Hatching
Apr 18, 2024
I am brooding my chickies indoors and found out that I can’t handle pine shavings in the house so I’m looking for recommendations for some bedding.

It’s a week today I picked them up. They are supposed to be a week old.

I’m kind of interested in Aspen and hemp … is bigger flake better to prevent ingesting (as much as you can anyway)?

Should grit always be available? I got Manna chick grit but it says to start with it at 2 weeks … I had another grit that said good from hatch but it was huge comparatively. I am confused! Help appreciated!

Chickie photo tax:

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpeg
    IMG_7139.jpeg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 60
Oyster shell is not grit. Chicks do not need grit unless they're eating something other than chick feed.
I use puppy pads.
I am on puppy pads right now, how long do you use them?

I was told if I add bedding, to offer grit in the case they ingest some

I am on puppy pads right now, how long do you use them?

I was told if I add bedding, to offer grit in the case they ingest some
You can use puppy pads until their big enough to shred them, then they can go outside.
It won't hurt but some chicks tend to gorge on it, just sprinkle a little on the ground if it makes you more comfortable but as long as it's not being shredded, it's fine.

The babies are two weeks old tomorrow and have already started scratching the pads apart … where is this fabled large flake aspen shavings I’ve seen talked about? I just see small ones here …

I would say just switch to aspen. A lot of tractor supplys have a big bag of it for super cheap. In my opinion, chicks will eat shavings no matter the size. It will probably be fine if the pieces are small

I would say just switch to aspen. A lot of tractor supplys have a big bag of it for super cheap. In my opinion, chicks will eat shavings no matter the size. It will probably be fine if the pieces are small
Yes I was going to pick some up just to have on hand but every TSC seems to be out of them at the moment! Ugh the hazards to brooding indoors

Back
Top Bottom