recommendations for books on homeschooling?

Just a comment on unschooling (which has been described very well above)...

I know several families who unschool. Only one of them has children that has reached college age thus far. They have three girls and one son (who is the youngest). Two of their girls chose not to go to college but have great jobs and do missionary work also (around the world), the other daughter did go to college.

Their son wants to go to college and has aspirations of a hard degree that requires higher math and other classes.

My friend is now, literally, in tears because their son isn't prepared to enter college due to his not having had the higher math courses and some other specific classes. He was not properly prepared through their unschooling.

Their daughter that attended college also found herself struggling due to the lack of preparation in certain areas.

So- what I am personally seeing (remember I only know a few families personally that unschool so my insight may be biased due to the lack of a larger subject pool) is that, if you want your child to attend college unschooling may not be the way to go; or, at least be prepared to use some books for certain subjects so that your child is properly prepared to enter a college level classroom.

If you read my post in the other Home School thread you know that my son has been accepted to a highly sought after university in a highly sought after major. There is no way that he would have gotten here if we had unschooled him. But, he wants to be a rocket scientist so we had to plan his education accordingly as he entered High School.

Having said the above -- my friends that have older children and have unschooled have absolutely wonderful, responsible, highly mature children. When they have gotten jobs they have always been promoted quickly and to high levels in the company they've worked for because their work ethic is so high and they are so smart. These young adults are respected by their elders and their peers. They were the ones I called when I needed a babysitter for four kids under the age of six!

The above is just food for thought.

Hey Pat,

We homeschooled Olivia for 3rd and 4th grade (on our boat) and we're about to go whole hog and homeschool 8th-12th in a couple years.

I had a hard time finding homeschool books that did not spend 75% of the book discussing religious issues. Unfortunately forums are much the same. I wanted to buy the most helpful books but could not tell from the Amazon.com descriptions how religious or secular they were. So here is what I did: our local library has an on-line search for the whole state. I searched for ALL the titles I had seen on Amazon (about 15 that pertained to homeschooling teens) and I used the inter-library loan to order them to my home library. I checked them out, skimmed through them, and figured out which ones gybed the most with me. Then I bought those on Amazon.

I think one of the books that I found REALLY helpful in deciphering all of the different homeschool models (i.e. "unschool" "classical" "unit studies" etc) was called 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. It has worksheets to fill out to determine what your childs learning type is, what yours is, what your time and money constraints are, etc to help you figure out what is best for YOU. Now, this book does have a lot of religious components and some preachy stuff but it is so helpful otherwise that I could just overlook that. It's NOT the book to show your DH but probably very useful for YOU.

The book I liked best was called Homeschooling the Teen Years, which obviously won't pertain to you, but it is from a whole series put out by Three River Press..... they have different authors but IF the general tone is the same, I'd say definitely try these. Not religious, broad spectrum, quite helpful. Here's another from the same series, you can tell them because they all have the same cover design!
http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling...y-Griffith/dp/0761517278/ref=pd_sim_b_title_4

http://www.amazon.com/First-Year-Homeschooling-Your-Child/dp/0761527885/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

http://www.amazon.com/First-Year-Homeschooling-Your-Child/dp/0761527885/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

I hope this helps!
Stacey
P.S. RE: "unschooling"..... don't do it (at least in the later grades) if you want your kids to get into a good college and do well in those classes. Just my 2 cents! I think Unit Studies are the very best of all worlds!!!! (Unit Studies are when you pick a topic, say dinosaurs for young kids, and then have lessons relating to dinosaurs that cover math skills, geography, science, literature, etc. For Olivia when we are sailing across the South Pacific we will do a Unit Studies on South Pacific isalnds that will cover everything from college-level geology to weather to history and literature (Darwin) to European History via colonialism.)
P.P.S. I just met with the high school principal yesterday about homeschooling Olivia and she was SO enthusiastic about it. Said that the Homeschooled kids who've come to her school have been the brightest, most mature, self-motivated, excited-about-learning, excellent students!
P.P.P.S. In my experience putting together eclectic materials for lessons (some textbooks, some library books, etc) the hardest part is deciphering which "Homeschool"-oriented text series are religious. For example, Abeka is religious, although not overtly so in things like math.

Last edited:
I picked up a great book last year it was called, HOME SCHOOL YOUR KIDS FOR FREE. It had webiste adress's for virtually everysubject, then also has things that help cover the legal end of homeschooling oyur kids in each state. VEry helpful. My DH even used the book to start getting hlp with some of his higher colleg level algebra, so it helped everyone here a little.

I was where you are when I first started looking into homeschooling. Time sure flies. Its hard to believe we are getting ready for the seventh grade for our oldest. Be sure and check both of the links that I posted above. Order the rainbow resource catalog hard copy, it's just too much to look at online. Vegsource has forums that discuss all methods of home schooling. They talk about Secular, unschooling, unit studies, Christian, Charlotte Mason...just everything thats out there. If any of you that are already home schooling hasn't been there, go now. They have fantastic used swap boards, much better than ebay.

Pat, pm me and I can list out some of the books I have. I will ship them to you for shipping cost and you can ship them back, or depending on the book, you can just keep it.
Just let me know and we can work something out.

(sorry to hijack..) but, GwenFarms thanks for those awesome links!!!! Rainbow REsource center looks great, I ordered the catalog. I am thinking of using Rosetta Stone's homeschool package for Spanish and theur price is better! They also have a different CDrom for teaching Saxon Math that I might try. Thanks!
Stacey

Your welcome. Its hard to beat Rainbow Resource. Always look there and at CBD before you order anything. CBD sells both secular and Christian www.cbd.com , Rainbow Resource usually is the cheaper of the two, but every now and then I'll find a better price with CBD. Another good company is Love to Learn, they aren't cheap, but they have a great catalog www.lovetolearn.net I can't leave out Vision Forum. They have the COOLEST history toys for boys and girls, especially for boys. www.visionforum.com

I could list links for you all day, but I'm gonna stop now, before I'm too late cooking supper
big_smile.png

Editing to tell ya that before you order from any company check vegsource's swap boards. I see Rosetta Stone there for sell all the time, but I can't remember prices. Check with Rainbow to make sure your getting a deal before you buy anything though.

Last edited:
My goodness! Wow. What a wealth of information. THANK YOU all so much!!! This should keep me in reading material for a good while
smile.png
And also help me find something to hand to my clueless DH and say 'yo, THIS is what I'm talking about, most homeschooled students really DO do well in life'
tongue.png

I think my initial inclinations would run somewhere between what SeaChick talks about with Unit Studies, and 'unschooling'... I am not concerned about the college-preparedness thing, since before I was a mommy I was a college professor (biology) and thus have a pretty reasonable idea of what coursework and skills are needed
smile.png
The idea of buying canned curriculum materials for most subjects does not appeal to me all that much (one of my favorite parts of teaching, back when, was designing new lectures and new lab exercises and assignments), but it is good to know they are available when the need arises.

Since I'm in Canada some of the legal issues, curricular requirements etc may be different and honestly I haven't really looked into that yet (although I should). Oddly enough, yesterday *after* I posted this Q about books, I was talking to one of the ladies who runs the local (province-run) drop-in play center, and out of the blue she asked whether I was thinking of homeschooling the kids
tongue.png
(I am pretty sure she meant it in a positive way, as it came from Harry coming over and showing off his newly acquired spelling skills to her
tongue.png
)

So, I really appreciate everyone's help, you have given me a wonderful amount of information and sources to look into, and as they get closer to school age no doubt I will be back with more questions
smile.png
(I assume we will start them in the school district, but I've had bad enough experiences with public school myself when I was growing up that let me tell you, if problems develop, I will try once or twice to sort things out within the system, but if that doesn't do it, then phthththtt to the school system
wink.png
)

Pat

Back
Top Bottom