Recommendations for ceramic heat bulbs?

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
I'm thinking of adding a non-light-emitting ceramic bulb as a heat source at night. There is already a socket in the ceiling of one of our coops where half the girls are molting. Four of my 7 girls in this flock are quite shabby now, seem cold and depressed and don't come outside much when it's below 30. Or they go straight to one of their playhouses and are reluctant to come out when the others go for their free range time. Do ceramic bulbs mess at all with circadian rhythms even if they don't emit light? If I do go this route, what's the correct wattage so it doesn't get overly warm and upset their natural resistance to cold? The coop is 6x8 with ventilation holes at the top.
Would these potentially work? https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7517337620?pwd=VjBLSnZHdFJkV2Jwby80MmxwK1BXZz09
Thanks so much for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have one I used last spring in the brooder and then in the coop. I think mine is a 150 watt which worked well in the brooder but in may I moved it out to the coop (5x6) and I felt it was under powered when it dropped down below freezing at night. I liked it for the chicks because it let them adjust to the waking at light and sleeping when it got dark. Not sure what the red bulb would cost to run but for the 6 weeks I used the ceramic bulb it cost around 50 to 60$ to run.

Thank you, that's great information. Yeah, it totally makes sense for chicks if there's no light. Wish I had thought of that when we were raising our batch last spring. Were the 6 weeks for the chicks or does that include when it dropped below freezing?

Thank you, that's great information. Yeah, it totally makes sense for chicks if there's no light. Wish I had thought of that when we were raising our batch last spring. Were the 6 weeks for the chicks or does that include when it dropped below freezing?
That was 5 weeks in the brooder and around a week and a half at night only in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom