Recommendations for how many chickens in my available space...

How many chickens can stay in a 3/3 coop, including the nesting boxes? I clean out the coop every morning and let them into a large run and/or free range.

How many chickens can stay in a 3/3 coop, including the nesting boxes? I clean out the coop every morning and let them into a large run and/or free range.
I would say that you can get away with 3 standard size birds, or maybe 4 if it is a 4-5 pound bird. The nest boxes shouldn't count as floor space, as most birds will not go in them unless they are laying an egg. Furthermore, if you give the birds a much larger run area, then it really won't be as bad, but if the run is also tiny, then you could be causing discomfort to the birds due to the confinement.

Thank you for the reply, I would like to try to go with four. How would 2 road island reds and 2 barred plymouth rocks do?

too small - when chickens are too cramped they start picking on each other, feather pulling with escalating aggression the longer they are confined together ( like indoors for days due to bad weather)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Here's a good article on chickens and space requirements:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need Enjoy the site!

It can. I mean as long as the birds have more space outside then you will be ok. 4 Large birds will be tough in a 3x3. Go to the breeds section of the forum and look for birds that are good in confinement. I actually think barred rock are good in confinement, but they are a larger size bird, so I would not go past 4. Why do you have such a small coop? What made you build a 3x3 if I may ask?

I have a small back yard.
sad.png
I would of loved a larger one but sadly that was the largest I could have, so i am trying to make do with it. But hey, its definitely better than not having chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom