Recommendations for how many chickens in my available space...

JerseyChickGuy

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Hi Everyone,
I'm an 8 week veteran of chicken keeping...not much experience
smile.png
! So far I have 7 girls (hopefully girls!), 2 Ameracaunas, 1 Blue Orpington, 1 Dominique, 1 Silver Laced Polish, and 2 Silkies. The coop I built is a 48sf shed attached to a 144sf covered run. So far plenty of space to make them happy.

I am trying to convince my wife to allow me to get a few more girls next year and was just wondering what everyones opinions were on how many I could comfortable fit in my total space. THANKS!!

They are eating leftover brussel sprout plants in one of my gardens in this pic!

The standard method is 1 large breed chicken for every 4sq ft. So I believe you have enough room for a couple more.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Like everybody else said, looks like you should have room for a couple more chickens.

Welcome to BYC!
And you have room for more! Be careful, chickens are like chips. The serving size is just a suggestion-you'll have more, they are just addicting! ;D

That is a pretty spacious area...to be honest, a coop with that size can hold another set of what you already have, provided that you clean well. My birds are extremely social, and I have 6 sq feet of run space and a little more than 3 square feet of coop space per bird, but as long as you stay on top of the birds clean thoroughly, you can certainly add more birds. The more birds, the more fun, the more eggs! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom