Recommended books

Feb 20, 2021
Salem, Oregon
Please recommend books, shows, organizations, or online resources! (Or a pre existing thread about this if it already exists)

I want to improve my knowledge on:
🐔 Chicken genetics
🐔breeding to the standard of perfection
🐔care
🐔More about specific breeds
🐔I am interested in bantams and standard size chickens
🐔Button quail
🐔Coturnix quail

🐔My son wants to raise bantam cochins for exhibition, so anything that really dives in to their color varieties, what to look for, how to care for them, would be really appreciated.

We really want to grow our library and arsenal of references, as well as network with experienced people and get involved in the community.

I grew up on a small farm where I bred show rabbits, and I raised quail bearded d'anvers. I stopped in 2008 when I left home and got married, having to put hold on those interests for quite a while while my husband and I figured out how to be married and how to function as adults 😅 a never ending process, I'm sure.

We currently live in a suburb but will be moving to our own farm in the next few years, as we are actively saving for a down payment, eliminating debts and gathering as much information as we can about owning and operating a small scale farm. So far I've spent much of this year honing my gardening, building, and incubation skills, selling chicks that I've hatched. (And keeping some... I can have six chickens and an unlimited... within reason... amount of quail).

My goal is to have a hatchery of the highest quality possible, focused on a few specific breeds. In the meantime I would like to educate myself and my son on what we are wanting to do.

Please recommend books, shows, organizations, or online resources! (Or a pre existing thread about this if it already exists)

I want to improve my knowledge on:
🐔 Chicken genetics
🐔breeding to the standard of perfection
🐔care
🐔More about specific breeds
🐔I am interested in bantams and standard size chickens
🐔Button quail
🐔Coturnix quail

I do have some books that I would recommend:
The Care, Breeding and Genetics of the Button Quail by Garrie P Landry
Poultry Breeds Pocket Guide by Carol Ekarius

I have some gardening and homestead books as well that I can recommend if anyone is interested, I just need to find them all to write the titles.

I'm looking mostly for poultry related recommendations at the moment! Thank you so much for any help at all!

My daughter and I were at the contact zoo and saw some unusual chickens there. As Zoo staff later explained it, they were artificially bred. Or rather crossbred with different species. Honestly, if someone had asked me, "how do you feel about zoos?" I would have said it was not my thing. But I did find the chickens amusing.

Why do you find this idea compulsive?
Oh thank you! I will look it up. The genetic part is my current obsession

Back
Top Bottom