Recommended Feed for Two Different Ages of Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by speckledegg728, Jan 19, 2017.

1. speckledegg728

speckledegg728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Rural Ohio.
    I'm soon going to integrate my three 7 week old chicks with five 19 week old pullets. What feed do you recommend I put them all on? I've been looking at All Flock, but I can't decide on a brand.

As a sidenote, is it okay to switch the pullets off of their layer feed right now? I just put them on it a little under two weeks ago. Should I wait a while until I switch their feed again?

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I feed my mixed age pens with either extra meatbird or chick starter grower crumbles, or I mix layer and chick crumbles. The older pullets should be fine with a switched diet, as long as they are getting nutritious food (which it sounds like they are). If the chicks are put onto purely layer feed before 12-16 weeks, though, that could cause issues (but it sounds like you know that). I would recommend going to a local feed mill/ farm store and asking what brand of all flock or even chick starter they'd recommend. I usually go with nutrena brand feed, but we have a store nearby that sells prosper (theisens brand) chicken feed.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All flock, all-in-one, starter or grower. Exactly which doesn't really matter. You're wanting something about 18% protein, and less than I think 2% calcium. Besides that, I think one feed is pretty much the same as another unless you go specialized like organic, etc.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -- though I prefer about 20% on the protein when I can find it. The currently laying birds will be fine - just offer oyster shell on the side so they can take the calcium their bodies need. There is no need to wait to make the switch.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    X3 - though I use closer to a 16% protein at that age. We are all over the board on percent protein.

The key is keep the percent calcium in the feed low, probably close to 1%. And offer oyster shell on the side for the ones that need it for their egg shells. Don’t fret if the pullets don’t eat it when they start to lay as long as the shells are thick and hard enough. There are a lot of different ways they can get calcium. As long as the shells are hard you are doing OK.

6. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

If it was me I would put 18% protein grower feed. If some of the chickens lay eggs then offer oyster shells on the side.

Hope this helped:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by