Cream Legbar Keeper
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
what would you guys say is an ideal live weight of a turkey before processing

also does anyone know or have a week by week weight guide list

this is to monitor what weight the turkey should be each week so to know the turkey is growing propperly and not under or over fed

thanks

It would depend, on the breed, you are raising!
idunno.gif

also to advise he is 13.2kg (29lb) just weighed him

unsure of his age but he is a this year hatch so i am guessing he is a good few months old maybe 6 months or so

Meyers hatchery has a nice growth chart. Just click on the bronze broad breasted link.

Meyers hatchery has a nice growth chart. Just click on the bronze broad breasted link.

Live
Weight
Cumulative
Feed
in
pounds
in
pounds
Age in Weeks
Toms
Hens
Toms
Hens
X
X
X

X

WOW thanks thats great

looking at this chart mine is hitting the end of the chart but defo under weight according to age

also teh chart almost confirms i have a TOM

Last edited:
It cannot be a BB bird to be only 29# at months old. He is a standard Heritage turkey or a mixed breed turkey. The chart you show here is for HYBRID BB Turkeys and irrelevant to heritage breeds.

If you have a BOURBON RED, BLUE SLATE, NARRAGANSETT, OR BLACK SPANISH OR A CROSS WITH ANY OF THESE, YOUR TURKEY IS CLOSE TO IT'S MATURE weight of 33# . for a tom. Standard Bronze will be close to 40 pounds at maturity. Eastern wild and other non-white turkeys will be closer to 20 pounds. Any of the breeds mentioned here that has been crossed with a Standard bronze or Holland, will be heavier than 33 pounds at maturity. Any crossed with a midget white, beltsvelle white or Royal Palms will be smaller than 33 #. Keep in mind that this is the average expected weight, but other factors, such as genetics of their line, nutrition, health, handling of young poults, experience and knowledge of breeder, all play a part in what it's mature weight will be. Also Turkeys are individuals and vary in attributes. A Heritage cockerel turkey tom, does not become an adult for breeding purpose until he is a year old and is usually 9 to 10 months before his flesh fills out to the best harvest-able size.
BB turkeys will reach a 40 to 50# harvest size at 4 to 5 months. After that, they can easily become lame or die suddenly of a heart attack due to the obese nature of the bird.
I hope this helped?
wink.png

It cannot be a BB bird to be only 29# at months old. He is a standard Heritage turkey or a mixed breed turkey. The chart you show here is for HYBRID BB Turkeys and irrelevant to heritage breeds.

If you have a BOURBON RED, BLUE SLATE, NARRAGANSETT, OR BLACK SPANISH OR A CROSS WITH ANY OF THESE, YOUR TURKEY IS CLOSE TO IT'S MATURE weight of 33# . for a tom. Standard Bronze will be close to 40 pounds at maturity. Eastern wild and other non-white turkeys will be closer to 20 pounds. Any of the breeds mentioned here that has been crossed with a Standard bronze or Holland, will be heavier than 33 pounds at maturity. Any crossed with a midget white, beltsvelle white or Royal Palms will be smaller than 33 #. Keep in mind that this is the average expected weight, but other factors, such as genetics of their line, nutrition, health, handling of young poults, experience and knowledge of breeder, all play a part in what it's mature weight will be. Also Turkeys are individuals and vary in attributes. A Heritage cockerel turkey tom, does not become an adult for breeding purpose until he is a year old and is usually 9 to 10 months before his flesh fills out to the best harvest-able size.
BB turkeys will reach a 40 to 50# harvest size at 4 to 5 months. After that, they can easily become lame or die suddenly of a heart attack due to the obese nature of the bird.
I hope this helped?
wink.png

that has helped alot thanks

one thing to bear in mind is yes my turkey is not a BB Bronze its an unaltered Bronze and im in UK so there is a big difference in LInes

Also my turkey is from a reputable breeder no crossing involved

and its being fed 19% protein Turkey Grower/Finisher

the age im guessing as 6 months or so as im not sure of age, my age theory only goes by turkeys being seasonal and if that is so then its hatch would be in the april may region and the breeder started selling this years hatches in June/July

that has helped alot thanks

one thing to bear in mind is yes my turkey is not a BB Bronze its an unaltered Bronze and im in UK so there is a big difference in LInes

Also my turkey is from a reputable breeder no crossing involved

and its being fed 19% protein Turkey Grower/Finisher

the age im guessing as 6 months or so as im not sure of age, my age theory only goes by turkeys being seasonal and if that is so then its hatch would be in the april may region and the breeder started selling this years hatches in June/July
If you are in the UK, You may have a breed not available in the US, but you sound loke you have a very nice heritage turkey ! Hoppy Thanksgiving !
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom