Recommended lot size for rooster?

laura17363

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Hi, I'm trying to create an ordinance proposal. I am just trying to get an idea on the minimum recommended lot size to have a rooster without disturbing neighbors. I know this answer could vary, but I'd like an idea on what others believe is reasonable. I live in an 80% agricultural township in a rural residential lot of 2.89 acres. The current ordinance does not allow livestock, small animals or poultry unless you have 5 acres or more. My new proposal should include something about minimum lot size for a rooster.

I had a rooster on my 2.89 acres previously, before I found out I couldn't have them. I had inquired with my neighbors on adjoining property if they could hear it and they said they couldn't hear it from inside their home, only when they were outside. Any thoughts?

It's not about lot size, it's about the rooster doing the crowing. Some are louder than others. I've had roosters that I never heard crow.

I know I should have some sort of limitation on having roosters for the proposal. My options are to have a min lot requirement (I'm thinking 2 acres) or insert a noise nuisance clause for roosters that would require the owners to remove a rooster if a neighbor on an adjoining property complains about noise. Does that sound reasonable?

I don't think allowing a neighbor's complaint to have the animal removed is a good idea - some neighbors will complain about anything, and it really creates a problem with the neighborhood- why not some sort of set back requirement? Has to be kept x feet from an adjoining residence - that's how the laws are for chickens around me - nothing within 200 ft of an adjoining home.

Some cities also have decibel restrictions for certain hours built into their noise ordinances.

What an excellent suggestion! I don't think I would have come up with that on my own. Thank you for the feedback. That also addresses the fact that no matter what lot size you have, you could still be too close to a neighbor, especially if the rooster is housed to close to a residence. A setback limit is very reasonable solution.

Back
Top Bottom